This topic contains 15 replies, has 8 voices, and was last updated by AvatarAvatar MUbballfan 11 years, 6 months ago.

• Author
    NCarmean18
    Participant

What’s up, forum?  I have seen a lot of people post their predictions for this upcoming season, and I really haven’t weighed in with my opinions, specifically because I would like to go much more in-depth than I would if I just commented on someone else’s thread.  

So, in this foum posting, I will give you my predictions on the winner of the MVP award for this upcoming NBA season.  I will give you my reasoning behind why I chose who I did, and will list my top 5 players on my list.  

1.) LeBron James – Miami Heat: I thought about this for a while.  It was close between LeBron and Kevin Durant.  However, at the end of the day, I am going with LeBron James to win his 4th MVP award.  

Whenever I think of LeBron James, I think of that killer instinct of his.  He is the ultimate competitor, and he doesn’t take losing very well.  All he wants to do is win.  For this upcoming season, I think LeBron’s points-per-game totals will take a minor dip, but his assist numbers and shooting statistics will both increase impressively.  

The Miami Heat have added some more weapons to this powerful team.  Now, LeBron also has the all-time leader in 3-point shots made in Ray Allen.  Not only did they add Ray Allen to the roster, but they also added Rashard Lewis, another former all-star calibur player who can score and play quality defense off of the bench.  

I think that for the first time in the Miami-LeBron era, the Heat will finish in 1st place in the Eastern Conference, which will increase the MVP votes for both LeBron James and Dwayne Wade.  

Lebron can do everything well on a basketball court.  He can score, he can pass, he can rebound, and he can defend.  He does everything extraordinary well, apart from maybe free throw shooting.  Even then, he is still pretty decent.    

Projected statline: 25.9 PPG, 7.1 APG, 7.9 RPG, 2.2 SPG, 1.2 BPG (Career high), 55% FG (Career high), 35% 3-Pt, 74% FT.

In the end, I believe the Miami Heat end up with the best record in the Eastern Conference, and LeBron James will win his 4th career MVP award.

Next 5:

2.) Kevin Durant – Oklahoma City Thunder

3.) Rajon Rondo – Boston Celtics

4.) Dwight Howard – Los Angeles Lakers

5.) Tony Parker – San Antonio Spurs

Toronto16
    Participant

I think you’re counting out Chris Paul.  I’m not saying he will win, but he is up there in the top 5 as far as MVP candidates go.

MUbballfan
    Participant

Likely the only way Durant or anyone else wins it over LeBron is if he misses a lot of time with an injury (he’s never had a bad injury in his career) or if Durant/Howard/someone else beats LeBron and the Heat in the Finals.

eazy_peaches
      Participant

The NBA MVP award does not factor in the Finals (or any of the playoffs for that matter). In fact, the MVP is named before the NBA Finals even begins. So if "Durant/Howard/someone else beats LeBron and the Heat in the Finals" it has no affect on the regular season MVP award whatsoever.

Just thought I’d point that out.

MUbballfan
        Participant

Did not know that. I guess if LeBron gets injured or if someone has an amazing season, better than LeBron, then they could win it. It’s LeBron’s to lose for years to come.

MUbballfan
    Participant

1. LeBron

2. Durant

3. Howard

4. Love

5. Paul

Lebron’s Hairline
    Participant

Replace Paul and Howard. Paul will have to do a lot more than Dwight as he has 3 other superstars to help him

MUbballfan
      Participant

good point, and Howards stats will drop playing with Kobe and Gasol

IndianaBasketball
    Participant

LeBron James is the favorite going into the season, but Kevin Durant is right there.

It’s scary to think what Durant might do this season. He put up 28 on damn near 50, 40 and 90 shooting last season… Throw in 8 rebounds, 3.5 assists, 1.3 steals and 1.2 blocks. Why won’t his numbers go up? And he’s only getting better in the clutch.

Offensively, he’ll be playing in the post more this season. IF his turnovers go down and his assists up, and he leads the Thunder to the best record in the league… It’s going to be a tight ass race!

Similar to Michael Jordan at one point, I think Durant is at a point in his career where he’s eager to prove to the basketball world that he’s not just a scorer. And he’s hungry… Having got close last season, but coming up short.

MUbballfan
      Participant

plus he only just turned 24 a few weeks ago

IndianaBasketball
        Participant

(Shivers…)

Scary.

MUbballfan
          Participant

Not even in his prime yet and he is already amazing. Once LeBron starts to slow down within 5 years, Durant should be the best player in the NBA because he’ll be in his prime, better than LeBron.

IndianaBasketball
    Participant

I can’t wait to see Steve Nash with the Lakers. This guy is basically still 50, 40 and 90 while giving you 10 assists… I mean, he seriously just makes everyone better.

I’ll tell you what… IF Nash can get Kobe to stop gunning and Kobe shoots 50%, just give Nash the damn award lol.

Lipstick
    Participant

Durant had the MVP vote until the last few weeks of the season when he "slumped". It’s his for the taking once again.

F_S mock

if the heat get first seed in the E: lebron takes it 

if okc gets first seed in the W: durant gets it

thats how close the race is. but taking into account no1 is a threat to miami in the E imho, yet okc has to deal with the lakers and the spurs in the W…. plus others. miami gonna have a nicer record and lebron’s numbers are gonna be slightly better so…

lebron takes the cake. my guess, i think he’s gonna take more jumpers so his fg% is gonna take a dip.

28pts- 9/10reb (career high)- 7ast on 50fg%

omphalos
    Participant

I think Durant takes it home this season, with Lebron finally winning a ring, I can see him starting to slow down a little during the regular season, especially with a deeper team around him this time around, and hopefully a healthy Wade.

Durant on the other hand, has just felt the sting of losing in the Finals, and I get the feeling he’s going to take it out on his regular season opponents and put up some great stats in addition to a great team record. Durant looked amazing in the Olympics, every year he has gotten better and after spending the summer training with the best the U.S. have to offer, I can see him taking it up another notch.

The different mindsets are going to be the difference in my opinion, Durant is going to be more regular-season focused, whereas Lebron is going to be keeping his eyes on the prize of another championship.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login