This topic contains 3 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by AvatarAvatar Krypt14 11 years, 12 months ago.

• Author
    Da1pot
    Participant

http://www.hoophall.com/news/2012/4/2/naismith-memorial-basketball-hall-of-fame-announces-class-of.html

NEW ORLEANS, La. and SPRINGFIELD, Mass. – The Naismith Memorial Basketball Hall of Fame announced today the 12 members of the Class of 2012 to be honored September 6-8, 2012 during this year’s Enshrinement Ceremonies.  The inductees include five-time NBA All-Star Reggie Miller, the NBA’s all-time winningest coach Don Nelson, three-time National College Player of the Year Ralph Sampson, two-time Olympic gold medalist Katrina McClain, distinguished basketball official and coordinator Hank Nichols, former college and NBA star Jamaal Wilkes and the first women’s professional basketball team, the All American Red Heads.  They join the five directly elected members who were announced during the NBA All-Star Weekend in February by distinguished committees focused on preserving all areas from the game of basketball.  These direct-elects include Mel Daniels voted in from the American Basketball Association (ABA) Committee, Don Barksdale from the Early African American Pioneers Committee, Lidia Alexeeva from the International Committee, Chet Walker from the Veterans Committee and Phil Knight from the Contributor Direct Election Committee.  The Class Announcement, supported by the Hanover Insurance Group, was made at a press conference in New Orleans, the site of the 2012 NCAA Final Four, and televised live on NBA TV with host Jim Nantz from CBS Sports.

Very interesting induction IMO. I made a few comments a while ago about Jamaal Wilkes and his hall of fame chance. http://www.nbadraft.net/forum/rasheed-wallace-hof This should easily allow players such as Tracy McGrady, Vince Carter and even Grant Hill to be inducted in to the hoophall. Even Ralph Sampson made it- pretty much on the strength of his college career. I have been disappointed with the inductions as of late, as it seems they are inducting virtually every player who was a "star" opposed to the ones who were the stars among the stars if you get what I’m saying. Pitino was snubbed, but Nelson and Miller’s inductions were long overdue.

surve
    Participant

ah yes….

the HOF threads that we got blasted about…and we were doing out of fun.  we did say that you have to have inductees or there would be no Hall.  you just cant say its getting watered down…..HOFers take time to build.  somebody has to get in.

Wilkes college and professional career were both impressive and he has 6 championships (2 college, 4 pro).  With that being said, I am not sure how McGrady, Carter, or Hill measure up.  Maybe we need to revisit that argument.   Then again I did say, we are looking at it in real-time.  History will be kinder to these players as time goes on.  Right now, none of those guys belong in the Hall, but years from now, I can see all 3 getting in.  They all have cases to be made.

gone
    Participant

Reggie did not derserve it. Now everybody who started watching basketball in 2005 neg me

Krypt14
    Participant

WizKid, I agree. He was an incredible shooter and hit countless big shots but he wasnt a great defender and only averaged something like 3 boards and 3 assists for his career. 3 boards a game is just weak for a 6’7 shooting guard and 3apg while not terrible isn’t exactly eye catching compared to other elite 2 guards.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login