This topic contains 16 replies, has 11 voices, and was last updated by AvatarAvatar RUDEBOY_ 11 years, 6 months ago.

• Author
    lakeshow22
    Participant

Could Cody Zeller actually go number 1 overall next season? Whats his upside and potential? Going number 1 overall usually menas that he should be an All Star in the NBA and Face of the franchise player? Can Cody Zeller actually be that good?

Also by going number 1 overall where would you rank him among some fo the young Power Forwards in the game who will be around for the next decade?

Kevin Love, Blake Griffin, Anthony Davis, Greg Monroe, Derrick Favors, Thomas Robinson.

Mr. 19134
    Participant

I think Zeller will play Center in the league and that’s why he’s looked at as a potential 1st overall pick because he has the potential to become a very good scoring center.  But he doesn’t rebound enough for me.

I think Bazz is the 1st pick next year regardless of who get’s the pick.

RUDEBOY_
    Participant

I personally think Cody Zeller is a little overrated..I see him as a Raef La Frentz type,a guy that has decent skills,will have a good nba career,but will never be a franchise player..I think he’ll be a top 10 player next year..Right now i have Shabazz as the top pick..But as we saw last year Andre Drummond was the preseason 1st pick,but by season’s end things changed,i expect it to possibly that way again next year…

James McAdoo could blossom and become the 1st pick..He showed alot of promise toward the end of the season..And reminds me of former Tar Heel and NBA Hall of Famer James Worthy…..

Jerry West was raving about Mitch McGary on the radio the other day…His stock dropped in alot of people eyes,so he can come in and be relaxed,play thru his mistakes and learn from them…And not have all the hype and the high expections people placed on him last year…

Nerlens Noel has good defensive instincts and upside..He disappointed alot of people this summer, by having a few lousy games in some summer tournaments..But Calipari is known for getting his people perpared for the pros…

RUDEBOY_
    Participant

I personally think Cody Zeller is a little overrated..I see him as a Raef La Frentz type,a guy that has decent skills,will have a good nba career,but will never be a franchise player..I think he’ll be a top 10 player next year..Right now i have Shabazz as the top pick..But as we saw last year Andre Drummond was the preseason 1st pick,but by season’s end things changed,i expect it to possibly that way again next year…

James McAdoo could blossom and become the 1st pick..He showed alot of promise toward the end of the season..And reminds me of former Tar Heel and NBA Hall of Famer James Worthy…..

Jerry West was raving about Mitch McGary on the radio the other day…His stock dropped in alot of people eyes,so he can come in and be relaxed,play thru his mistakes and learn from them…And not have all the hype and the high expections people placed on him last year…

Nerlens Noel has good defensive instincts and upside..He disappointed alot of people this summer, by having a few lousy games in some summer tournaments..But Calipari is known for getting his people perpared for the pros…

Hitster
    Participant

We have to see what the Freshmen can do, but Zeller looks a legit prospect as it is always easier to put the incoming freshman class at the top of the draft mocks. If Cody Zeller had declared this year, I wonder where he would have gone, if he is considered a legit top pick contender next year, I’d have said he would have needed to have gone top 5 this year.

I personally see Shabazz as the guy with the most upside at this moment but Nerlens Noel could be a contender if the Coach Cal bandwagon gets rolling and McAdoo could have really benefitted from the extra year and has proven NBA pedigree in him. 

I’d say if Zeller does develop then he should be a top 5 pick contender at worse as skilled big men are at a premium.

MUbballfan
    Participant

I think he is a very solid player that is more of a sure thing than other prospects, but his ceiling isnt enormously high. He should be at best a very solid borderline all star starter. Don’t think he is on the level of some of the NBA players you listed.

He should be a top 5 pick in 2013, but I have Shabazz as the highest potential player in this draft and think he will go #1.

Siggy
      Participant

I agree with all of this.  His lack of even average length for a PF could be problematic in a lot of areas.  He’ll be better than his brother, but I think he’ll have to incorporate a lot of his brother’s game into his own. Because of his lack of length I think he’ll have to rely more on those quick release, 3/4 hooks and quick shots as opposed to backing down his man and just shooting over them.  I also think he’ll have to be more of a face up guy than a back to the basket guy.  He’s got a nice form on his jumper so I can see him being able to step out more. Defensively, he won’t be a lane protector so he’ll just have to focus on being a really good position defender.  He’s got good feet and developing body strength so I think he can at least be that.

Who was the last super productive big who didn’t have long arms or exceptional athleticism to make up for their length?

Kaman with a better brain is a decent comparison. Kaman’s always had the potential to be better than what he’s become but his mental deficiencies and injuries have held him back. Unlike Chris, Cody has more patience and tact to his game.

MUbballfan
        Participant

Kaman is a very good comparison. Similar size, similar games, similar limitations.

raybeas
    Participant

right now because he is the best returning prospect in the NCAA. He has the best offensive post game I’ve seen on the college level since Tim Duncan left Wake. He needed to add strength at the end of last year, and from all reports, he’s added a lot. He should play this year in the 235-240lb range. If he doesn’t lose any mobility/quickness/speed, there’s no center on the college level who can match him.

His rebounding deficiencies mostly stem from poor positioning and short arms. His defensive post positioning also needs more work. He would let opposing bigs just walk deep into the post, and then try to guard. He has the foot speed and coordination to be an adequate defender. I see him averaging 19 and 9, with 1.5+ ast/stl/blk and almost 60%/80%.

Muhammad and Noel, and maybe Steven Adams have a chance to pass him for #1 overall pick. All three are freshmen, and unknown quantities at this point. Muhammad probably needs to average better than 18-19ppg with good rebounding numbers and percentages to pass Zeller. Noel is super raw offensively, and needs to show progress throughout the year on that end and rebound and defend at a high level. Adams is a similar type of prospect to Zeller, so a straight-up comparison needs to be in his favor to pass his older rival.

Another factor in CZ’s favor is his team may be ranked highly throughout the year, giving him lots of media coverage. A championship run by Indiana may lock up the first pick for him.

eazy_peaches
      Participant

Good point about Indiana. A championsip run, or even a final four appearance with a strong tournament, could definitely help him solidify his draft position. Indiana is a top ranked team, and like you said, Zeller is the best returning prospect in college ball.

Shabazz Muhammad could come in with an impressive season and become the top available prospect, but its hard to imagine Zeller not being picked top 3 regardless. 

eazy_peaches
    Participant

I think the top pick will come down to Zeller and Shabazz Muhammad. But a lot can change over the course of a season.

I think Zeller will be an elite scoring 4/5 in the NBA. He can score effectively in such a variety of ways. Despite his short arms, I think his rebounding will improve as well. Mainly due to his work ethic and on-court hustle, which definitely appear to be above average. 

Either way, I doubt he slips out of the top 3.

Lebron’s Hairline
    Participant

He’s going to be a lamarcus Aldridge/ Chris kaman offensive player. His defensive potential is really limited due to his T-Rex arms

samosas
    Participant

i like the raef lafrentz comparison.  zeller is good, and college ball is down this year so he’ll go top five barring a turd of a season or a major injury

SportsDude
    Participant

Cody is head and shoulders above every big in College basketball. If the team that picks 1st needs a big man, he will be the #1 pick. He can do it all. He’ll be a better NBA player than he is in College. He literally took an Indiana team from obscurity, the the consensus #1 team in the Country. LeMarcus Aldrich is a great comparison.

Siggy
      Participant

What helps LA be as effective is his length.  He has a near 7’5 wingspan that helps him extend over or around defenders.  He’s very Sheed like with this long arms and high release on his jumpers that are tough to contest. Combine his ability to also fade on his turnaround jumpers and get off an accurate shot and that shot is nearly impossible to contest.

Now compare LA’s near 7’5 wingpsan to Cody Zeller’s ~6’9 wingspan, which is that of a lengthy SG.  Do you think Cody will be as succesful shooting over shot contests or bothering other PF/C’s shots?  

MUbballfan
        Participant

Wingspan 8 inches shorter yet they are within an inch or two of each other height wise. Aldridge isnt really a good comparison. Aldridge also has a better midrange game.

RUDEBOY_
    Participant

His brother Tyler is going to surprise alot of people this year..Expect him to become a starter by the all star break..I think he’ll average about 10pts/5rbs …

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login