This topic contains 19 replies, has 11 voices, and was last updated by AvatarAvatar Scotty5000 11 years, 3 months ago.

• Author
    Lindsey
    Participant

A question, and major point of interest for me has been who has a better future at the 1 spot between these two.

I personally feel that both of these guys are true PG’s with the ability to slide into a scoring role if needed. I really like the change of pace game, size, and ability to body up the defender of Harrison, and with his extremely underrated athleticism, quicks, demeanour and explosiveness of Kasey.

Both seem to be very good passers and shooters from the tapes as well, which is becoming a bit of a rarity for PG’s these days.

If you were a GM who do you think is better suited for a long successful career in the L?

Just going off highlight’s here (chill in up in Canada) but Kasey seems like a better shooting Rondo, While Harrison a Better shooting ‘Reke. Which game is more suited for success?

Chilbert arenas
    Participant

I’ve seen Harrisons highlights on youtube but you should never invest too much into those (I.E. Ryan Harrow). I’ve only seen one entire game with Harrison and it was the one on ESPN vs Aaron Gordon. Andrew was gimpy from an injury and didn’t get much of a read on him but from what I did see I didn’t see him as more than a combo guard and not really a “pure” point.

Lindsey
      Participant

I hate to base anything off a youtube vid, but we make do with what we have right.

A New Shitty Mock

neck to neck imho

Coby Karl
    Participant

If I had to pick Id probably choose Kasey Hill just for the simple fact that his game is much smoother and after watching a couple of his games I could tell that he was more a pass-first point guard then Harrison. Kasey Hill reminds me of Kyrie Irving/Cp3 where he has the ability to score whenever he wants but chooses to get his teammates involved first. Harrison on the other hand uses his quick first step to get around you then his athleticism to elevate over you and score. Reminds me of Russell Westbrook/DWade. Can’t go wrong with both IMO

princejames
    Participant

I have to see both players play in college before I can give an accurate opinion on them. Because in highschool, you have alot of players who dominate in highschool because they are physically more gifted. But seeing them play in college against higher levels of competition and against good coaches who have defensive schemes that are ment to minimize a players effectiveness. Will give us all the opportunity to really see how talented and skilled a player really is. Especially when it comes to the potential they posess when it comes to their ability to develop into very good NBA Players

Overhyped HighSchool Prospects:
    Darius Miles
    Deshawn Stevenson
    Chris Duhon
    Sebastion Telfair
    Josh Mcroberts
    Gerald Green
    Julian Wright
    Andre Drummond ( talented, but has a long way to go before he develops into a very good NBA Player)
    Harrison Barnes ( Will no doubt be a good, but not great Pro, His style of play is very similar to Sean Elliot )
    Austin Rivers

Let’s wait until they play in college, before we can give accurate opinion on them

i’m jus so offended
    Participant

You need to go ahead and take Drummond off that list. He has already shown what kind of player he can be and that is the best C in the game, so that would equal living up to his HS hype, imo

princejames
      Participant

I love the potential and upside of Andre Drummond, but it is extremely obvious that he was a bit overhyped coming out of highschool. I still think he is a can’t miss prospect. But he has alot of work to do before he can become a very good center in the NBA. Offensively he has a average feel for how to be a high level post-up player, and at times he doesn’t really take advantage of the physical tools he posesses, that will allow him to be a great finisher around the rim. Defensively is where he has been the most effective. I think he has the potential to be a great defender, great rebounder, and great shotblocker similar to Alonzo Mourning and Antonio Davis

Lebron’s Hairline
    Participant

Wow already the next best center in the game after 20 something games? Andre will be very good but crowning him as being the best center in the future is a little premature. He will be very good but his offensive game scares me.

Malcolmx
    Participant

Come on guys this post is about Hill and Harrison,not Drummond.By the way I say Kasey is better then Andrew. Kasey’s high school plays a national schedule and he still dominates.The harrisons play schools in their districts and beat up on inferior competition a lot of the times.Granted when they do get on the AAU circuit or have big hs games they still get off. Andrew shoots better then Kasey right now but I think Kasey has him in ever other department. Ball handling,Passing,Blow by ability and everything else except shooting.

blackice445
    Participant

I’ll go with Kasey. His athleticism for a point guard is serious. He’s also equipped with what seems to be a very long wingspan and he’s got a great a IQ.

Scotty5000
    Participant

For getting into the lane, Harrison cant be stopped, Kaysey may have speed but not strength. It will be fun to see these guys actually go head to head next season.

A New Shitty Mock

People are buying in the Hill hype. I like it. Nice thread.
    Andrew Harrison: Pass first PG 6’5 with supreme handles and good quickness/ explosion. Will blow by HS defense at will and score or simply pass out of double teams seemingly effortless. Shoot 3s and off the dribble. ‘Great size’ for PG but at the same time earns him the combo label.
    Kasey: Supreme handles, excellent in the break. Slithers easier because of size therefore can make plays for others and himself within the flow of the game as opposed to ISOs. Shoots it, even off the dribble. More explosive, horizontally and vertically than Andrew.

Siggy
    Participant

I’ll go with Andrew Harrison, by a pretty good margin as well. Kasey is nice. He’s flashy, has a great handle and is electric in the open floor, but I think he’s a bit overrated on this site, maybe in part due to his awesome mixes. I’m not crazy about his jumper and although he’s a nice passer, I think he can be a little “too cool for school” at times on the floor. I’m not saying he’s lazy, but he can be really lackadaisical when running an offense. He likes to dribble a lot on the perimeter without moving the ball or probing the defense. He also has a tendency to throw some lazy passes. I compared his game to a smaller BD and not just because of the smooth, imaginative, yet explosive nature of his game, but BD was almost too smooth to the point where it looked like he wasn’t dialed in at times.

Andrew has his flaws too, but I just think he can be physically dominant at the PG position at every level of basketball. Like has already been said many times before, he could be Tyreke with vision. That to me sounds like a player with superstar potential. I do however think he should’ve picked a different program, one that runs more pro sets for PGs. I think he’has the potential to be a terrific PnR PG in the future, but UK’s offense doesn’t run enough of that type of stuff.
    I would’ve also liked to see him separated from his brother. They’re so accustomed to the other brother being on the floor that they use each other as a safety blanket. Like, if one gets in trouble they automatically look for the other brother even if it means bypassing a teammate to make a tougher pass. Or they get into this pattern of taking turns, where one brother will dominate the ball one possession then he lets the other try to dominate the next. When I’ve seen them play in HS, that just leads to some disjointed play and a series of isos. As far as the comparison to Kasey, I think Andrew is the better passer (with the advantage of being able to see over his defender). He’s also the better defender with more potential as a scorer since he can overpower and shoot over his match up.

Scotty5000
    Participant

I dont think that Harrison will have that worry next year about having to always find his brother, he will have studs everywhere to pass the ball off too, guys better than his bro.

redone1
    Participant

A lot of people here are saying that Harrison should have chosen a school that runs more pick n rolls because kentucky doesnt. I disagree. Each year Cal tailors his offensive scheme according to the players he has. He, like all of us, see’s how great harrison can be in the PnR and will certainly make that a big part of the offense. Remember 2 years ago when B. Knight was on the team. They ran a lot of pick n rolls with him and Josh Harrellson.

Siggy
      Participant

If you saw B.Knight run PnR his rookie yr or even today, you would’ve never guessed he ran much of it all before turning pro, since he’s not good at it. There’s a difference b/t calling the play and teaching it well. Out of all the recent PGs that came out of Cal’s program, can you name at least one of them that was at least decent at PnR? I can’t.

redone1
    Participant

Derrick Rose was/is. And Tyreke is a good PnR player if you only count driving into the lane and not shooting or passing

Siggy
      Participant

As a Bulls fan I can honestly say that Derrick is not a good PnR PG. There is using ball screens and then there is PnR play. Derrick is good at using ball screens, which he has to be good at since the Bulls probably have used the most amount of ball screens in the league the past few yrs. He still struggled with the pocket pass, coming tight off the pick and pacing off of the pick. His PnR play is more of a Pick N Go play where he just uses the screen to accelerate into the lane. It’s the same way Westbrook uses ball screens.

Tyreke? No.

A lot is made out of the Calipari PGs, but his system doesn’t do much to prepare them for the pro game. Even Derrick was clueless as to how to come off of a pick or run the offense in general as a rook. He’d bring the ball down and his immediate tendency would be to get rid of the ball to the first wing available, even if the wing was like 30 feet away from the hoop…kinda like what I see in M.Teague when he gets into games now.

Scotty5000
    Participant

yeah, too bad poor old Derrick Rose never learned the PnR in college. HIs game has suffered immensely….

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login