This topic contains 12 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by AvatarAvatar OhCanada- 10 years ago.

• Author
    mikeyvthedon
    Participant

Hello all, amazing championship game last night to end a fantastic year of NCAA D1 basketball! Congratulations to UConn on the victory, props to UK for making it a really intense contest. Right before the game, the Hoop Summit World team had their first practice open to media/NBA Scouts/agents.

Not a lot of energy, guys looked tired and I am sure that a few of them really wanted to watch the game. Will give you a few notes of what went down and descriptions of the team. 10 guys were there and a surprise last minute addition in Ukrainian [Player: Sviatoslav Mykhailiuk] was set to be at practice tonight, according to a source close to the event and the game roster.

Mykhailiuk had a fantastic Euro U16 Tournament in the summer and will be the youngest player in the game, who also should be well tested in practice by the other wings. Practice is 6-8 tonight, will probably have news for everyone tomorrow with news on that. So, here are some notes on each of the 10 players that were at the first practice.

• [Player: Jamal Murray], Canada: Was initially listed at 6-6, measured in at 6-4.5/196 with a 6-8 wingspan. His hand length was measured at 10.5 inches, 2nd on the team only to Karl Towns, as an intriguing fact. So, fairly legit combo guard size and while Brandone Francis is listed as the only "other" PG, should be Mudiay and Murray as they were matched up. The 2013 JBC International MVP, he has a great shot and a mature game. Definitely turned a few heads and had people liking what they saw. Currently HS Class of 2016, not sure if he plans on prepping in the US or staying at Athlete Institute in Ontario.

• [Player: Emmanuel Mudiay], DR Congo: The SMU commit seems to be the most important player on this team, as he may be the closest thing to an actual PG. Felt he was the best player out there, as well. He played solid on ball defense, really pressured Murray and got the better of that match-up. Very explosive, quick first step and was able to get to anywhere he wanted on the floor. Thinking he could really give the PG’s on the USA issues. Felt his shot has improved as well, this guy is going to make a huge impact in college. Definitely believe he will be in the discussion for one of the top few picks in the 2015 Draft, maybe even the top pick.

• [Player: Gao Shang], China: He measured in at a pretty solid 6-7, 220, though his wingspan is the same as his height. Felt he really struggled. Had some of his people in front of me who proclaimed, "He must be nervous, have never seen him miss this many shots in his life" during a shooting session. Had a pretty tough time getting anything going, though you could see he has potential as a shooter. Nonetheless, looks like it will be tough for him to get minutes. Will give him the benefit of the doubt in that he probably had a crazy flight to get here and maybe he needs to get acclimated to his surroundings.

• [Player: Damien Inglis], France: His measurements definitely standout. 6-8.5/240 with a 7-3 wingspan, big hands and a standing reach just under 9 feet. Really helps him on defense, had some nice steals and also displayed some court vision. During the last scrimmage, had a couple dishes to Clint Capela for alley-oops. Kind of a long set-up on his shot and he seems to be much more perimeter oriented than Livio Jean-Charles was last year. Even though his measurements make you want to really like him as a wing, still not quite sure what to think about him as a prospect. Will have my eyes on him more tonight, though feel he has a ways to go before being a NBA prospect.

• [Player: Brandone Francis], Dominican Republic: Think he is more of an off guard than a PG, he was playing off of the ball for the most part. Solid size for a college SG, can put the ball on the floor though was not really getting by anybody. Shot alright, though looks like more of a "scorer" than a "shooter". Seems like a longer term college prospect and someone who could eventually contribute pretty well down the line for Florida.

• [Player: James Birsen], Turkey: Measured in at 6-10, looks to be about right. Decent shooter, high release and wing ability. Can put it on the floor, had a couple nice finishes off the bounce, using his body to create space for the finish. As a theme for this years team, was solid but not spectacular. As another theme, seemed a bit lethargic in some of the drills and you would like to see more energy. Do not mean to single him out, as he was not the only one and will give him the benefit of the doubt as well. Just think that last year, the guys who were first round picks in 2013 stood out right away. This year, not thinking anyone besides the already listed first round prospect break out.

• [Player: Trey Lyles], Canada: Has prototype PF size and an advanced skill set that should make him an immediate impact in some form at the college level. Has really firmed up since last summer, measured in at 6-10/250 with a 7-3 wingspan, though his 8-11.5 standing reach is kind of an anomaly considering. If he isn’t a "true" 6-10, he is at least darn close. He is dangerous off of the step back and he is a killer in the post also. Even hit a tough corner 3 at the buzzer during the final scrimmage. Match-up with Jokic was pretty unfair, though Capela gave him more issues (of course). The questions will be on defense and his being more engaged without the ball. This guy stretches the floor and should be a match-up issue for most teams from Day 1 at UK.

• [Player: Nikola Jokic], Serbia: He gave a good effort, really tries running the floor, though he got eaten alive when he was guarding either Lyles or Towns. Does not get off of the floor much, though he has length (7-3 wingspan) that could challenge at times. Athleticism not his forte, though he has some range and a soft touch on his shot. Knows his strength, sticks close to the basket and was not shooting from beyond 15-18 feet or so, with a high release. Know he is doing pretty well in the ABA liga for Mega Vizura, though he was not much of a standout on the first day.

• [Player: Clint Capela], Switzerland: 6-11, 7-4.5 wingspan with a 9-2.5 standing reach and he runs the floor like a gazelle. His athleticism stood out, he gets really high for rebounds and had some great finishes above the rim. Skill wise, he is pretty limited. Not a lot of range and while he gets elevation on his shot, tends to release coming down and does not appear to be much of a stretch threat. Also, still only came in at 222 pounds. While his frame definitely looks like it could add weight, does not look to be an immediate impact just based off of his lack of girth. Feel he showed what he had to offer pretty well and he has big upside as a defensive, rebounding big. Not ready to anoint him as a lottery pick just yet, though he looks like he has a good shot at carving out of a first round spot amongst this years group.

• [Player: Karl Towns], Dominican Republic: Karl measured the same as he did last year as far as height and wingspan, with an added 5 pounds of weight. Looks to be in better shape and more defined, though has a ways to go. Ran well, seemed a bit more explosive as well. His 9-5 standing reach is massive, he definitely blocked a few shots just off of that. Still loves the long ball, though hit a few and he is a solid shooter. The thing that separates him from an Isaiah Austin is that he can also bang in the post a bit, scored through contact on Jokic. Still, Capela definitely gave him more issues and while Ty wrote that he was "early leader" in scoring, hard to say he was dominant. Will have a big match-up when he plays Team USA. As nice as it is that Karl can stroke a bit from range, still want to see more of a low post game.

Overall, think this team looks like it will have a pretty damn tough time going for a third consecutive W. The talent drop off from last year was pretty immense, though that was not a surprise as last years team was likely the best World Team in the history of the Hoop Summit (the USA was not too shabby, either). More missed shots, less energy on the whole and while this team is huge on the whole, am guessing it could really struggle against the USA guys this year. We will see, do not get a real USA practice until Thursday. Wanted to give you guys something until than, will have more for you over the next few days!

max23
    Participant

Thanks for the breakdown,but how did you get to watch the practice?

max23
    Participant

Thanks for the breakdown,but how did you get to watch the practice?

Lotto Stud
      Participant

It’s all in the name. MikeyV—>The Don

Lotto Stud
      Participant

It’s all in the name. MikeyV—>The Don

mikeyvthedon
      Participant

The practices are only open to credentialed Media and Scouts, plus agents are there as well. If you apply to USA Basketball as part of a media outlet and get confirmation, than USA Basketball has a schedule of practices you can attend. Their were a few closed practices that they had the past two days that we could not get into, though I went to the practice last night and am going to the practice tonight.

This is my 3rd year going to the Hoop Summit practices/game for NBADraft.net and will by my 6th game I have gone to in 7 years it has been in Portland. When it started, I lived here and than when I moved, still have family here, a place to stay and it has worked out. If it were not in Portland, than I might not be here, though luckily it seems to have found a home here. NBA Scouts are at every World team practice, just about every team is represented by at least a scout, with GM’s sometimes showing up as well. USA practices tend to have less commotion, as only one of them will be open to NBA teams/agents. So, that is how I get to go, am lucky.

mikeyvthedon
      Participant

The practices are only open to credentialed Media and Scouts, plus agents are there as well. If you apply to USA Basketball as part of a media outlet and get confirmation, than USA Basketball has a schedule of practices you can attend. Their were a few closed practices that they had the past two days that we could not get into, though I went to the practice last night and am going to the practice tonight.

This is my 3rd year going to the Hoop Summit practices/game for NBADraft.net and will by my 6th game I have gone to in 7 years it has been in Portland. When it started, I lived here and than when I moved, still have family here, a place to stay and it has worked out. If it were not in Portland, than I might not be here, though luckily it seems to have found a home here. NBA Scouts are at every World team practice, just about every team is represented by at least a scout, with GM’s sometimes showing up as well. USA practices tend to have less commotion, as only one of them will be open to NBA teams/agents. So, that is how I get to go, am lucky.

Chrispy
        Participant

to hear about Mykhailiuk joining the Summit. He was incredible in the u16 last year. Keep us updated, because kid has the chance to be a special, special player. For those who don’t know who he is, better start finding out!

Chrispy
        Participant

to hear about Mykhailiuk joining the Summit. He was incredible in the u16 last year. Keep us updated, because kid has the chance to be a special, special player. For those who don’t know who he is, better start finding out!

Rip255

I think Mudiay has lots of potential to be a great pro. Would a comparison with Victor Oladipo or Russell Westbrook be apt?

Based on the scouting report above, it seems like Mudiay is the best backcourt player in the class, and I think Okafor is definitely the best bigman.

Rip255

I think Mudiay has lots of potential to be a great pro. Would a comparison with Victor Oladipo or Russell Westbrook be apt?

Based on the scouting report above, it seems like Mudiay is the best backcourt player in the class, and I think Okafor is definitely the best bigman.

OhCanada-
    Participant

I feel like the practices give scouts more info than the actual game.  Why didnt Nurkic get an invite.

OhCanada-
    Participant

I feel like the practices give scouts more info than the actual game.  Why didnt Nurkic get an invite.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login