This topic contains 22 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by AvatarAvatar hylandpt 10 years, 10 months ago.

• Author
    Hoops Maestro
    Participant

If you were in charge of USA basketball, who would you want on Team USA for 2016, assuming everyone accepts and is healthy, considering player ages then and how well the team fits together. Who is on your 12 man roster?

I’d go with this (ages in 8/2016 in Rio):

PG1 – Chris Paul (31)
    SG1 – James Harden (26)
    SF1 – Kevin Durant (27)
    SF1 – LeBron James (31)
    C1 – Dwight Howard (30)

PG2 – Russell Westbrook (27)
    SG2 – Klay Thompson (26)
    SF2 – Paul George (26)
    PF2 – Kevin Love (27)
    C2 – Anthony Davis (23)

G5 – Steph Curry (28)
    F5 – Blake Griffin (27)

Hoops Maestro
    Participant

Typo: LeBron PF1, not SF1

I’d probably move Klay Thompson into the starting 5 for outside shooting, and Harden to the second unit for more passing.

And move Anthony Davis into the starting 5, because all they would need is some defense. Put Howard on the second unit (as if he would really be okay with that) to given them an inside scoring option.

Steph Curry and Blake Griffin are the instant offense if we need to pick up the pace.

db24kb24
      Participant

Howard would not provide an inside scoring option. His post game is too slow and predictable, also they’d force him to embarrass himself at the free throw line before he gets a dunk.

His activity, rebounding, finishing strength/athleticism, and help-side D are the main reasons they would want the clown. What’s sad is that he might be America’s best option @ Center…smh

db24kb24
      Participant

Howard would not provide an inside scoring option. His post game is too slow and predictable, also they’d force him to embarrass himself at the free throw line before he gets a dunk.

His activity, rebounding, finishing strength/athleticism, and help-side D are the main reasons they would want the clown. What’s sad is that he might be America’s best option @ Center…smh

Hoops Maestro
    Participant

Typo: LeBron PF1, not SF1

I’d probably move Klay Thompson into the starting 5 for outside shooting, and Harden to the second unit for more passing.

And move Anthony Davis into the starting 5, because all they would need is some defense. Put Howard on the second unit (as if he would really be okay with that) to given them an inside scoring option.

Steph Curry and Blake Griffin are the instant offense if we need to pick up the pace.

trelos6
    Participant

Pretty solid list.

Can’t argue with starting 5.

Rondo/Rose might be in contention for the second PG spot, if they accept the invite.

I think Kyrie and Curry should both be ahead of Klay Thompson. Having a smaller SG wouldn’t be too much of a problem in the international game.

trelos6
    Participant

Pretty solid list.

Can’t argue with starting 5.

Rondo/Rose might be in contention for the second PG spot, if they accept the invite.

I think Kyrie and Curry should both be ahead of Klay Thompson. Having a smaller SG wouldn’t be too much of a problem in the international game.

Shyhill
    Participant

All i could say is in 2016 curry will be the best pg..and where’s Melo Kyrie and I’d be watching out for Demarcus Cousins or Greg Monroe in place of the big baby Dwight

db24kb24
      Participant

I really hopes he gets a mentor. If he channels his passion and continues to work he could be dominant…But if we call Dwight a big baby, it’s only right to call DMC a baby.

db24kb24
      Participant

I really hopes he gets a mentor. If he channels his passion and continues to work he could be dominant…But if we call Dwight a big baby, it’s only right to call DMC a baby.

Shyhill
    Participant

All i could say is in 2016 curry will be the best pg..and where’s Melo Kyrie and I’d be watching out for Demarcus Cousins or Greg Monroe in place of the big baby Dwight

ThunderHog35
    Participant

Guards: CP3, Westbrook, Drose, Harden, Iggy, Curry
    Forwards: LeBron, Durant, Melo, Griffin, Love, Davis
    Centers: Howard, Cousins, Drummond

Curry-Kyrie was a tie. With the other 3 pgs who have simlar skills to Kyrie and playmakers like LeBron, Harden, and Durant at other positions, I went with excellent spotup shooting as a need.

I don’t think Klay can make it barring massive jumps in his game, you need a defense first guard in there somewhere and Iggy fits that role perfectly.

And George over Melo? Really? I can see it, but that would be an impressive feat given how well Melo performs in international competition.

Cousins is a great talent but he’s really on the fence with his attitude issues. Drummond could be great given a couple more years to develop.

Shyhill
      Participant

Greg Monroe is better than him his ceiling is high but Drummond will be one of those and andray Blatche type players with more strength and athleticism Greg will be better than cousins as well..

ThunderHog35
        Participant

I give you hands down that Monroe is much better than Drummond right now. But I think come 2015, Drummond will be the greater asset. They wont really need more post scoring so I think the value added by what Drummond could accomplish defensively if he approaches his ceiling, would be too much to pass up. Completely disagree with you on Cousins though. If they can fix his attitude issues and he becomes team first 2 way player, he could be a dominant center. But if he doesn’t change or isn’t changed being around star players, he’d be my first choice to get cut from the list.

ThunderHog35
        Participant

I give you hands down that Monroe is much better than Drummond right now. But I think come 2015, Drummond will be the greater asset. They wont really need more post scoring so I think the value added by what Drummond could accomplish defensively if he approaches his ceiling, would be too much to pass up. Completely disagree with you on Cousins though. If they can fix his attitude issues and he becomes team first 2 way player, he could be a dominant center. But if he doesn’t change or isn’t changed being around star players, he’d be my first choice to get cut from the list.

Shyhill
      Participant

Greg Monroe is better than him his ceiling is high but Drummond will be one of those and andray Blatche type players with more strength and athleticism Greg will be better than cousins as well..

ThunderHog35
    Participant

Guards: CP3, Westbrook, Drose, Harden, Iggy, Curry
    Forwards: LeBron, Durant, Melo, Griffin, Love, Davis
    Centers: Howard, Cousins, Drummond

Curry-Kyrie was a tie. With the other 3 pgs who have simlar skills to Kyrie and playmakers like LeBron, Harden, and Durant at other positions, I went with excellent spotup shooting as a need.

I don’t think Klay can make it barring massive jumps in his game, you need a defense first guard in there somewhere and Iggy fits that role perfectly.

And George over Melo? Really? I can see it, but that would be an impressive feat given how well Melo performs in international competition.

Cousins is a great talent but he’s really on the fence with his attitude issues. Drummond could be great given a couple more years to develop.

Hoops Maestro
    Participant

Carmelo will only be 32 in 2016, so I imagine he will still want to play, but I think there will be younger, more athletic guys available by then. Also, older guys tend to want (and need) to take the summer off.

I went with Klay Thompson because they will want one knock-down off-the-ball shooter. There are a lot of guys like Curry, Irving, Rose, etc. who are good but play too much alike (they all need the ball).

ThunderHog35
      Participant

I think if LeBron is in, Melo will be. They’re both wanting to stay the longest tenured Team USA players. Unless Melo has continuous injury problems the next couple years, he’ll be in.

I can understand that Klay pick, though I haven’t seen him play much so it might not be an issue, but is his defense weak? Who’s going to be that lock down perimeter guard? We all know Lebron can lock down almost any position but he’s not going to spent an entire game on a pg or sg. They need a new guard defender without Kobe around. Can Westbrook or George potentially be that guy? Probably. Harden’s gotten better defensively but he’s there yet. Westbrook has been used as an aggressive defender by Coach K in previous years but is he the one that can battle over screens and chase for long periods without getting frustrated or fouling? I’m not sure. I love Westbrook, he’s a dominant player. But I’m not sure. I see Melo spending a lot of time at the 4 so George will probably be saddled at the 3 so he probably won’t spend much defensive time on guards. That’s why I think Iggy is the perfect pick to fill a role.

ThunderHog35
      Participant

I think if LeBron is in, Melo will be. They’re both wanting to stay the longest tenured Team USA players. Unless Melo has continuous injury problems the next couple years, he’ll be in.

I can understand that Klay pick, though I haven’t seen him play much so it might not be an issue, but is his defense weak? Who’s going to be that lock down perimeter guard? We all know Lebron can lock down almost any position but he’s not going to spent an entire game on a pg or sg. They need a new guard defender without Kobe around. Can Westbrook or George potentially be that guy? Probably. Harden’s gotten better defensively but he’s there yet. Westbrook has been used as an aggressive defender by Coach K in previous years but is he the one that can battle over screens and chase for long periods without getting frustrated or fouling? I’m not sure. I love Westbrook, he’s a dominant player. But I’m not sure. I see Melo spending a lot of time at the 4 so George will probably be saddled at the 3 so he probably won’t spend much defensive time on guards. That’s why I think Iggy is the perfect pick to fill a role.

Hoops Maestro
    Participant

Carmelo will only be 32 in 2016, so I imagine he will still want to play, but I think there will be younger, more athletic guys available by then. Also, older guys tend to want (and need) to take the summer off.

I went with Klay Thompson because they will want one knock-down off-the-ball shooter. There are a lot of guys like Curry, Irving, Rose, etc. who are good but play too much alike (they all need the ball).

hylandpt
    Participant

leaving Melo is just plain stupid. Melo has been one of the best players of the team the last decade. Accurate shooter and a nightmare for opposing teams with his inside and out game. Melo’s earn his spot, especially with his FIBA history. Dude shot like 55% + from FG and 3PT land. 14 points in like what, 16 minutes?

hylandpt
    Participant

leaving Melo is just plain stupid. Melo has been one of the best players of the team the last decade. Accurate shooter and a nightmare for opposing teams with his inside and out game. Melo’s earn his spot, especially with his FIBA history. Dude shot like 55% + from FG and 3PT land. 14 points in like what, 16 minutes?

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login