This topic contains 22 replies, has 12 voices, and was last updated by AvatarAvatar phila9012 11 years, 5 months ago.

• Author
    druneave3
    Participant

This is stupid to do but I just get angry thinking about all the draft decisions/moves that I wanted to make at the time, and what the Bulls would look like if I was the Bulls GM starting in 2007. I am sure most of you could do the same with your respective team. This is not done with hindsight, these were things I really wanted the Bulls to do at that time. The Bulls would look something like this.

PG- Derrick Rose

SG- Paul George

SF- Nicolas Batum

PF- Joakim Noah

C- Serge Ibaka

Bench

Taj Gibson

Ramon Sessions

Jimmy Butler

Anthony Morrow

Festus Ezeli

2007- I wanted Joakim Noah and instead of Aaron Grey/Jameson Curry I wanted Ramon Sessions. 

2008- Derrick Rose, then I would have traded picks/whatever to get two guys I was in love with before the draft- Nicolas Batum and Serge Ibaka. I don’t think it would take that much to get picks #24 and #25. They could have traded 2009/2010 first round and 2nd round picks or players like Hinrich. I just loved both players, especially Batum.

2009- #16 instead of James Johnson- traded to get Batum. #26- Taj Gibson ( I actually wanted Taj with the 16th pick)

2010- Trade Deng and picks (one used to get Mirotic) to get Paul George. Love him, always have.   I also wanted to sign Anthony Morrow if free agency. 

2011- I wanted Jimmy Butler, they got him. 

2012- Festus Ezeli instead of Marquis Teague

Needless to say I hate John Paxson. I just get angry thinking about all the moves he made compared to the ones that I wanted. I am glad he is now playing a lesser role as Gar Foreman is now in mostly in charge. 

apb540
    Participant

2010- Trade Deng and picks (one used to get Mirotic) to get Paul George. Love him, always have. I also wanted to sign Anthony Morrow if free agency.

…..who in the world would of been the GM accepting that trade??  As you said in the first sentence, this is rather stupid.

druneave3
      Participant

An all-star and first round pick for the 10th pick in the draft isn’t too crazy. 

Siggy
    Participant

Hindsight is awesome ain’t it? It makes everyone look like a genius.

druneave3
      Participant

Since I said this wasn’t done with hindsight, thanks for the compliment. 

TheArtistPaysthePrice
    Participant

and its hard when the guy you wanted turns out great and the GM of your favorite team has the last name Paxson. My nemesis was Jim in Cleveland. But if you want people to take you serious you are going to have to show some comments you made prior to the draft on this site or another because your drafting acumen is legendary according to these postdictions (as opposed to predictions) you are making.

Plus keep it real, you desparately wanted Serge Ibaka before that draft, even though you probably never saw him play 10 straight monutes of basketball? 

druneave3
      Participant

Very true, I only saw Batum a little and Ibaka even less but their length and athleticism really jumped out at me. I wasn’t on this site back then so I can’t provide previous thoughts. 

Jamaal Franklin is a guy I am in love with right now just like Batum George and Ibaka. Cody Zeller sucks.

I was really high on Demar Derozan but would not have traded for him because of his shot and body language. I thought he would be doing much more than what he is now. How does a guy with that much skill and athleticism avg. 3 rebound and 1 assist. He doesn’t do anything besides a spectacular dunk a couple times a game. I am pretty upset with him.  

The first prospect I was really high on was Jacque Vaughn. I was wrong there. 

druneave3
    Participant

Other things I wanted the Bulls do in the past….

Iguodala over Ben Gordon

Caron Butler over Jay Williams

Jason Richardson over Eddy Curry

Mickael Pietrus over Kirk Hinrich- lost that one. 

Michael Finley was one of the first prospects I liked at an early age and was so angry when the Bulls selected Jason Caffey one pick before Finley. 

TheArtistPaysthePrice
    Participant

could you suggeest the Bulls take Jason Richardson (who at the time couldnt shoot), over home town kid Eddie Curry to pair with Tyson Chandler. Curry was supposed to be the new Shaq with crazy post moves and looked to part before the draft and early on after it. Chandler was energy and length and a defensive presence. Most if not all Chicago fans thought Hakeem and Sampson.

druneave3
      Participant

I wasn’t familiar with Eddy Curry or any high school players back then, loved J Rich. 

Tyrober
    Participant

I do not believe you OP

druneave3
    Participant

My NFL draft record is pretty good too, more players, more rounds, and I don’t even know football that good. I am a good judge of talent I guess….

Hale
      Participant

I would like to see examples of this.

druneave3
    Participant

Makes me happy that no one believe me. I know I would be an amazing GM, been doing it since I was 5 with basketball cards. Making teams and looking at matchups. 

phila9012
    Participant

ok this is only rough estimates but lets look at salaries for this year

rose $15 million

noah 12 million

batum $10 million

Ibaka $10 million

then gibsons $8 million next year

so the salaries are about what they are now, I guess but hindsight is always 20/20. You are coming across as an egotistical prick and nobody cares because you have no proof to show you really thought that

druneave3
      Participant

egotistical prick. I am just very confident in my scouting abilities and evaluating talent. I am not very confident in many other areas of my life, extremely shy, just have some very strong opinions about life and basketball. Like I would take Jamaal Franklin over Cody Zeller and Nerlens Noel. Like I wanted to trade for Paul George, Ibaka, and Batum. And everything else I said. I am a really honest person, my finance says I am too honest-from telling her she looks terrible in an oufit, or detailed strip club stories she didn’t want to hear. I don’t lie very often, and have very strong opinions, and very few friends because of those characteristics. Why would I lie to make myself look good on a forum where I don’t know anyone? I don’t care what other people think really and think most of society and customs are stupid (like I won’t say "bless you" after a sneeze. I am a metaphysical naturalist, meaning that there is nothing besides matter, the natural elements, and the principles, relationships, and laws that govern them within space and time. No deity or supreme being exist or controls the universe. I am always getting into arguments about that and don’t care what anyone thinks. 

phila9012
        Participant

that is fine, but the better thing to do is come on here and explain why jamaal franklin is a better prospect than cody zeller or nerlens noel( I dont think that) or any prediction that you can go back to if it is right. Then you can have something to prove yourself if in a few years that is true, instead of looking stupid like you did with this post because it was hindsight with out proof.

TRC1991
    Participant

Theres no way you wanted taj gibson at 16… he was thought of as a guy who should be picked in the 30-35 range

druneave3
      Participant

I wanted Taj Gibson at 16 and Dejuan Blair at 26. I loved that USC team because of Derozan and thought Taj could be a great role player with his D length and speed and strength. At the time I didn’t think Taj was worthy of a 16th pick but there was no one else I liked. 

Keepin it Classy
    Participant

If I was the Bulls GM, I would’ve made the moves for Melo or Kobe. D-Rose and Melo as a core? That would be sick. 

IndianaBasketball
    Participant

I am a really honest person, my finance says I am too honest-from telling her she looks terrible in an oufit, or detailed strip club stories she didn’t want to hear.

Smh… Lol.

aamir543
    Participant

Dude, looking back of course you can say, "I could’ve done a better job" but the truth is that at the time you yourself couldn’t have predicted that Ibaka would become the leauge’s best shot blocker, or that Nic Batum would become the player he is today. Come on man, you can do better than this.

JoeWolf1

Paxton took a chance on the best assistant coach in the NBA, and he and his system, perfect for Chicago’s existing talent, lead the Bulls to 70% wins twice, in his first two years. I give Paxton a ton of credit for that hire, Thibs is the man.

Unlike many NBA teams, the Bulls drafted, or acquired on draft night, the majority of their team. I think that speaks volumes for talent evaluation among a GM. Look at the 10-11 squad that made it to the ECF

Rose – Drafted 

Deng- Drafted

Noah – Drafted

Gibson – Drafted

Asik – Acquired for Jon Brockman and Sonny Weems on draft night

– On a 62 win team, the Bulls drafed 60% of their scoring, 58% of their rebounding, 58% of their assists.

It’s okay to be critical of Paxton, but hate is a strong word.  I think he’s done a pretty damn good job on draft night, and trading to acquire players that fit the system on the budget available. I think his biggest failure is attracting big free agents. 

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login