Can the Bulls get another Top 10 pick in the 2014 draft via trade?

Scott42444
Can the Bulls get another Top 10 pick in the 2014 draft via trade?

As it stands now, the Bulls have 2 1st rounders in the 2014 draft. I never thought the pick from.Charlotte would be avaiable before 2016, but so far it exceeds it's Top 10 protection. I believe that the Bulls, and any NBA team for that matter, have really only a core of 3 - 4 players. Because of the restrictions of the salary cap, teams like OKC had to trade away Jeff Green, James Harden, and soon will most likely lose Reggie Jackson. OKC, like Chicago, are further hampered by the (ironically) Derrick Rose rule, which gives Durant and Rose a larger portion of their salary cap space. I see the Bulls "core" (in order) as Rose, Noah, Deng, and Butler. Boozer is of course a large portion of the Bulls current roster but let's be honest. Almost everybody in the league feels that the Bulls will either amnesty him at the end of this season or will trade him for any expiring contract/draft pick/young asset. That is not a knock on Boozer, because he does have a rare skill set that many teams covet. They just don't cover those skills at a near max contract, especially with how inconsistent his offense is and sometimes non-existent his defense can be.

That "core" consists of three all-stars. But, Luol Deng will be an unrestricted free agent after this current season. He and the Bulls were unable to come to an agreement on an extension before the year and could end up letting him walk away for nothing (like they did with Omer Asik). I really like Luol Deng. I feel he is one of the FEW larger contract veterans who have earned their salaries (as much as any pro athlete "earns" tens of millions) and can literally do just about anything on the basketball court. He leads the league in minutes, lads the Bulls currently in scoring, and is consistently tasked with guarding the LeBron's and Durants of the world. That means, when Rose congress back next year, there is a real possibility that only Noah remains of the current core. Deng and Boozer could be gone. Now, since Jordan left, the Chicago Bulls have proven that they CANNOT, for whatever reason, sign the marquee free agents available. I cannot tell the reason, wether it be because of Jordan and Pippen's shadow, or the misconception that the team mistreats it's players, or the frigid won't weather. But building through the draft, historically the best place to find a superstar, is the smartest option.

Trading Deng, with the option of resigning him as a free agent, not only ensures the Bulls of a chance at a better lottery pick (Thibs uses him quite a bit) AND might be the key piece in getting a Top 10 pick in the draft. Would Cleveland, a team who I think over values the talent on their roster (see: Anthony Bennett) AND seems desperate to add veteran leadership to help their young superstar, might seem like a good trade partner. There really is a thing as TOO MUCH young talent (as I pointed out in the OKC comparison earlier). Sacramento seems intent on bringing in veterans, too. Jimmy Butler and Taj Gibson can be huge contributors to a franchise as well.

Remember, if the Bulls resign Deng AFTER trading him for a pick, they would still have a core of Noah, Deng, and Rose next year. Add in the #4, #7, and #15 picks, which I am using as realistic hypothetical numbers (or trade those up to get #2 or #3) and bring over Mirotic AND any other free agent available and I believe the team is MUCH better off then they are now with a loaded draft like this.

What do you think, guys?

KHAM83
I'll respond to "trading away

I'll respond to "trading away Deng, and resigning him" part. Any team trading away a lottery pick for him will make sure he signs an extension before trading for him.

Also, it looks like getting Mirotic isn't going to be so easy. His team overseas is looking like they'll give him big money offer to stay.

Scott42444
This isn't Carmelo or Howard...

...who was a superstar. We are taking about a solid fringe all-star, but one that makes his team better without demanding the basketball to be effective. Also, even Howard didn't sign an extension with the Lakers. He will not sign an extension, because it's not in his best interests. Once again, it's different when you are taking about a superstar. Also, I am not saying Deng by himself should net Andrew Wiggins. That's crazy, especially with an expiring contract. But there ARE teams that are trying to improve their young core and make a run at the playoffs (Cavs, Wizards) and don't have alot of room for another developmental rookie. After losing LeBron, the Cavs seen like a team (with bad trades in their past under Dan Gilbert, I might add) that would take that chance. Not a knock on the Cavs, but I don't think they are a pplayoff team even with an All-star small forward added to their current mix (remember, they are not being asked to give up Bennett or waiters. They are being asked to give up the current #7 pick. There ARE salary cap implications, but since the new CBA I don't remember what they are. Maybe Taj and Deng, or Deng and Butler.

Scott42444
Can I get a link to that Mirotic info?

He's under contract with a $2 million buyout (dollar or Euro I'm not sure). The Bulls would CURRENTLY, if they amnesty Boozer, be able to offer the mid-level. Previously he was limited to his draft slot money. I guess I haven't heard of a team just increasing someone's contract, in the middle of their contract, but I don't understand the rules of European basketball.

KHAM83
Tyrober
Tyrober's picture
Are you trying to say the

Are you trying to say the Bulls should trade Deng for a lottery pick and then resign him as a free agent? Because that is exactly why a team will not give a lottery pick without having him locked into a long term contract.

Scott42444
I am saying...

He will be the centerpiece of a trade, which might include Butler or Gibson, that will net a lottery pick. I DON'T think he will sign an extension and I still think he has value. Once again, he isn't a superstar but he could be a big piece to helping a team, along with other guys, into the playoffs. Certain teams want to get into the playoffs now than they want another pick. It's true. It happens all the time. Teams sell picks all the time.

Tobe Bryant
Tobe Bryant's picture
Pending Luol Deng

Let's say the Lakers continue to falter, and fall into that top-10, then they can possibly look into nabbing that pick. It could happen. Especially if Deng has some kind of desire to leave, and the Bulls don't want him to walk for nothing at all.

RSS: Syndicate content