This topic contains 18 replies, has 14 voices, and was last updated by AvatarAvatar Hitster 11 years, 11 months ago.

• Author
    nick5354
    Participant

The Cavs have the following picks for the 2012 NBA drfat.

#3 – Lottery (this pick pick should be around 2-5 when lottery is done)

#24- Lakers first round

#33 – From NO from Miami

#34 – Own Pick

Cavs have a very fortune draft in 2012. A high lottery pick, a late first rounder and two early second rounders. 

We know Cavs do not need any help at PG or PF. Thompson has shown masisve postive signs this year and the influence of Tim Duncan, who is really high on him, will help him so much over the preseason. 

The massive Gaps in the side is obviously at the Wing and Centre. 

With a pick 2-5 you can make a argument for either Drummond, Beal or MKG with this pick. Even Lamb or Barnes if it falls to 5-7.

I would go with Drummond here. I know he had a dissapointing year but I believe he can be an All-star Center. Let’s not forget he is only 18 and did enter College early. I don;t think he is as raw on offensive as he showed or people believe. The Cavs deperately need a Centre in the draft and the only real possiblity at#24 is Melo or Ezeli. If Drummond pans out Cleveland would be a masisve threat in years to come with a core of Irving, Drummond and Thompson. 

With #24 you would need to get a wing, no doubts about it. There is so much talent this year that there will be a player with slips this far. If Harkless fall i would grab him. With this pick i would also like to see them trade up to get Ross. I love this kid and want him in Cleveland. 

#33 and #34 I would love to see them draft Barton. His stock is low and would be a massive steal in the draft. Middleton is also a player with a low stock atm. I would also strongly consider picking him up.

What would you do if you’re Cleveland?

FearTheStache
    Participant

I think Drummond would be a great pick. He struggled this year because he really needs a PG that can pass, and he didnt have that at UConn. While Kyrie definitely scores a lot, he also has good assist numbers, and has the potential to be elite

fliptonn
    Participant

Take the best available with that first pick. Pretty much any guy up there would help particularly MKG, Barnes, Beal, and I could even see Drummond. They should honestly do the same with their second pick too, obviously no PG’s though. But if Waiters or Wroten is there you have to take ’em. If not, you gotta go with a big man like Ezeli or Melo. With the second round picks they should look to improve their bench depth. Unless they take two wings with the first two picks in which case you definitely have to take a C with that first 2nd rounder. Outside of that, look for them to draft a guy like Draymond Green or Darius Miller to provide some productivity off the bench. Realistically they could draft a back up PG considering the one they have right now is Sloan. The team is definitely a work in progress but they have the tools to make some power moves in this draft.

nick5354
    Participant

Uconn didn’t do him justice. Drummond hasn’t showed what he can do on offense. And to those people who consistantly bag him for scoring around the rim – he gets that many from cleaning up Lambs chucks from 3 and the poor guard play. It is hard to get his own offensive when no plays are drawn for him and he did show glimpes of a mid range shot and post game. It is worth the risk in my opinion.

cuseflynn10
    Participant

Where Cleveland lands up with their first pick will dictate what they do with their following picks. But I’ll pretend they have #3, #24, #33, and #34.

#3 MKG. Pair a scoring PG with a defensive minded swingman that can chip in a few points as well.
    #24 Fab Melo or Festus Ezeli. They’ll need a big to develop down the road if they want to compete.
    #33 Jenkins, Buford, or Barton. Cavs would need a SG to pair with Kyrie. Any of these guys would have to get major minutes right away.
    #34 Herb Pope, Mike Scott, or JaMychal Green. This pick adds big man depth.

This is what I think Cleveland should be looking at early on. They could potentially mix it up and go with Drummond and then look to add the wings with picks #24, and #33. It’s still to early to tell, but I think my guesses would make Cleveland a lot better next season. Not playoff bound, but getting close.

CavsFan07
    Participant

Drummond is such a tough debate for me. His upside is high, however, his offensive game is so raw that he’d basically be used for defensive purposes such as blocking shots, rebounding, etc. That’s basically what Tristan Thompson has been used for so far (although he’s showed some signs of life), so pairing these two together makes sense defensively but offensively it looks BAD.. Plus, these two would just clog the lane for Kyrie, as both need to be around the block to score. I just don’t see them going this route.

Depending on what number you pick, this is how I see their list ending up (not Davis obviously, just saying if pick is 2 or worse).

1.) MKG

2.) Beal

3.) Barnes or Lamb

I think a Wing makes much more sense, and MKG already played with Kyrie in High School so they have some chemistry. If the pick is 3-4 range, Beal makes sense as a scoring guard to pair with Kyrie. And if it drops to 5-6, I see Barnes or Lamb being the pick. I’m really hoping we get the 1st or 2nd pick so we can have either Davis or MKG, however, I’m not so sure we’ll be lucky in the lottery again. 

24th pick: Again, really depends on what happens with our first pick. Say we take MKG early on, then I see these guys being the best possibilities: Harkless, Doron Lamb, Ezeli, Fab Melo, Tony Mitchell, or Quincy Miller. There’s always the chance that someone drops to them, such as Leonard, Waiters, Ross etc (although I doubt any of them will). Taking a young guy with upside here still makes sense as you’re not in "win now" mode and will most likely be back in the lottery next year.

33 and 34 – Highly doubt the Cavs hold on to both of these, as bringing in 4 rookies into an already young team would be an odd move. I see them packaging the Lakers pick (24) with one of these picks to move up a little bit, and should be able too considering it’s a deep draft and a couple teams would probably bite at that opportunity. I like Barton if available, as a scoring guard off the bench. Darius Miller, Kevin Jones, Draymond Green all make sense as Senior’s who would accept a roll coming off the bench. 

Nonetheless, it’s great to see the Cavs have plenty of opportunities in this draft. Soooooooo much depends on how the lottery shakes out as our first pick will undoubtedly determine our others. Hopefully we add good, young talent to a team with plenty of draft picks in the upcoming years and lots of money to spend in free agency (that is, if you can ever convince someone to come play in Cleveland 😛 )

akhan786
    Participant

I would love if the Cavs got Drummond.

I was sick of seeing so many of Kyrie’s sick passes get baubled by stone handed big men like Varejao, Semih Erden, and Ryan Hollins.

An athletic and powerful big man next to Kyrie would be a lot of fun to watch especially since Kyrie gets into the lane with such ease.

nick5354
    Participant

oh god, don’t get me started on Hollins…

ChrisCross
    Participant

For Cleveland….. 

MKG

Beal

Drummond

Barnes

nick5354
    Participant

Also a question, if Cavs get that No.1, what do they do?

They have invested so much into Thompson, and looks like he is going to be a great player.

Do they trade down to 3-5 with a package that includes more picks or a player?|

There is no room for both in cleveland IMO. I can’t see them both playing in the team.

What value could they get for Thompson?

what do you think if this sitution happens?

CavsFan07
    Participant

I think a combination of Tristan/A Davis could work. Why not? Davis obviously has a higher ceiling, but why can’t these two play together? Tristan guarded the opposing 5 man several time this year, and Davis could guard the 4. The front court would be set for several more years, and defensively they would be very good down low. 

The package a team would have to give to get the #1 pick from the Cavs would be veryyyyy big. 

OhCanada-
    Participant

The Cavs invested alot in Hickson as well and traded him for Casspi of all people I doubt doing something similar to Thompson would be an issue to make room for Davis.

omphalos
    Participant

I’d take Drummond with that first pick, and take Quincy Miller with the Lakers’ pick. I like Barton with their first pick in the second round, and then I like Jenkins as a scorer off the bench too.

Starting lineup of Irving, Barton, Miller, Thompson, Drummond.

Miller and Barton are two guys with great potential as players, and both would be absolute steals at this point in the draft.

If they got the first overall pick, I’d want them to package Davis for both of New Orleans’ picks, taking Drummond and Jeremy Lamb.

Irving, Lamb, Miller, Thompson, Drummond, with Barton, Alonzo Gee, Varejao, Jenkins for depth.

invalid
    Participant

for almost every other team, i would pick beal and mkg over drummond, but id go for drummond on cleveland in their first pick. for 24th pick, if lamb or quincy is still available.

their frontcourt is so thin varejao is always injured lol. forcing forwards to play at center and hollins is still zzz

mookie
    Participant

Even though I’m not a cavs fan, whoever they draft, I just just hope they win a ring before the heat do

r377r377
    r377
    Participant

@ nick 535

If they did land Davis, they could possible do a deal with the pistons.  The pistons were high on Thompson in last years draft.  A Thompson / Monroe front court would be awsome for the pistons.  Though I am not sure what the pistons would have to give up in return… I would assume this years pick plus a bit more…. Athough looking back Thompson was taken too early – most of us had him going 6th-9th so knowing his true value is a bit difficult…

Rafter
    Participant

I think a wing should be the target for their first draft pick, Barnes, Beal and Lamb should be strongly considered because Gee, in fairness, has been quite surprising but Beal or Lamb are better overall players and offer more potential. I’ve been disapppointed with Casspi, i was pretty excited that the Cavs got him but he’s had limited time and you could blame the coach but Casspi’s production has been pretty poor for his standards this season which is why his minutes haven’t increased.

OP won me over, eventhough the Cavs are leaning towards NBA ready players in an attempt to win quickly, Drummond would actually be good pick, the Cavs will be running even more pick and rolls next season since Irving is the star now and having Drummond as the ‘roll man’ would be quite difficult to defend due to his quickness and size not to mention Irving will make Drummond look better.

If the Cavs won the lottery, i think they’ll keep Thompson, they’ve been very high on him for a long time and i’d expect Varejao to be moved or not re-signing Jamison, so, he’ll find a role if Davis joined, i don’t think just because they’ve added a new shiny piece, Thompson would automatically be in the firing line.

With regards to the Cavs’ later picks, they’re in the 20’s and there will be somebody that slips. Mitchell or Fournier (who is really young for this draft class) would be worth a look, and possibly Lamb (Doren) if he’s still on the board would be a steal..

John Jenkins would be an excellent pick-up in the second round and his college teammate Ezeli would provide legtimate size that the team has needed, but all the Cavs’ latter picks will differ by whoever is selected with their first draft pick, there are a lot of good options, too many, they’re gonna have to make the right call after Gilbert’s bold words of winning a ring before LeBron.

nick5354
    Participant

Cassipi has been so dissapointing this year. He has fustratated me so much. Gee has been a revelation this year and become one of my favourite players. However, I think he would be much better coming off the bench. 

I like the chances of finding of finding a starter on the wing with that 24 pick rather then finding a good Centre with it.

Hitster
    Participant

If Cleveland get the top pick they have to take Davis, he and Thompson could play together as an athletic frontcout and Varejao would still be there for certain match ups. If we assume that Jamison moves on then there are a lot of frontcourt minutes to fill and a 3 man roster of the above could easily do that.

Cleveland could take a risk on Drummond as there he would have time to develop and with a young PG in situ and a coach who knows how to run those type of plays, he’d be going into a good situation.

Personally I think they may well look for an SG to find Irving a long term running mate especially if they fall to 5th or 6th, here Beal,Lamb, Rivers etc come into play or they could look to trade down.

If they get a shot at MKG or Barnes, they will take a long hard look. Whilst Casspi and Gee are decent players either MKG or Barnes would be an upgrade and you have possible flexability to play one at SG for some minutes if needed.

The late first rounder and early 2nd rounders give trade up options galore and I would expect they maybe use a couple of these picks and move one on.

The team will have picks due from Miami over the next couple of years so Chris Grant and co will have loads of ammo to put complimentary players around Irving, Thompson and this year’s top first round pick.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login