This topic contains 8 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by AvatarAvatar alinge 11 years, 2 months ago.

• Author
    OhCanada-
    Participant

Stanfords Dwight Powell has proved to be an extremely talented albeit inconsistent player this year averaging 15-ppg, 8-rpg, 1-apg, with 1-bpg and 1-spg. With the 2013 draft being so weak and the 2014 draft projected to be so strong do you see Dwight or any other undeveloped prospects jumping the gun to get their shot in the L. Nbadraft.net has him going 23’rd in 2014 although I think he could want to sneak into the late 1st round this year and avoid the stacked 2014 draft.

He is a legitimate 20-point, 10-rebound, and 5-assist threat at any night at the NCAA level and is on the verge of breaking out. In his last two games against Arizona and Arizona St. he has 22-pts, 10-rebs, 2-ast, and 2-blk in a win (ARI ST) and 24-pts, 10-rebs, 4-ast, 2-blks, 1-stl in a 7-point loss (ARI).

I havent watched him play aside from one game against UCLA of which he displayed great versatility although bad defense. Does anyone have a grasp on his current draft stock and realistic upside…Im a bit bias with him being Canadian and all.

White Chocolate
    Participant

I went to the Stanford at Arizona game last week and Dwight Powell definitely looked like the best player on the court. Mark Lyons and Solomon Hill had quiet 20-point games, but it looked like nobody on Arizona could handle Powell.

RUDEBOY_
    Participant

Austin Daye 2.0

RUDEBOY_
    Participant

Powell is 1 of the most versatile and skilled players in the country..
    But he’s too soft,lacks strength,a poor defender and spends too much time on the perimeter..Reminds me so much of Austin Daye…..

His size,shooting and skill set ,makes him an interesting prospect…..And unlike alot of big men,Powell seems to enjoy playing the game…….Some team might look at him in the late 1st round, thinking they can be the team that can untap that potential…..I see him as an early to mid 2nd rounder…..

llperez

Live what I’m seeing from Dwight and as soon as Aran posts my PAC 12 blog you’ll see I have him ranked as the number 2 prospect in the conference behind only bazz.

ilike.panochas
    Participant

I compare him favorably to Brian Cook. Powell has a lot of talent but does not utilize it and is very inconsistent.

GoJOSH HUESTIS
    Participant

The kid could go this year and be a first round pick, he is a face up 4 but he can and does bang when he has too. Most of the time he is being guarded by bigger centers so it makes no sense to bang with them when he can just face up and either drive past him or shoot the jumper. I hope he does stay because like I told him, him and my nephew could form one of the best front courts in college basketball. Not too sure what he is thinking about as far as putting his name in the draft because I stay away from that conversation when I’m talking to him and my nephew but I do kow it has crossed his mind

OhCanada-
    Participant

He reminds me of Justin Harper personally Austin Daye is way more perimeter oriented.

alinge
    Participant

When he commited to Stanford, it was down to Stanford and Harvard and he himself said he saw basketball as a way of getting into a top college. Therefore unless he graduates early, I would presume he stays for his senior year. Plus Stanford could have a real good team next year

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login