This topic contains 17 replies, has 10 voices, and was last updated by AvatarAvatar PrecociousNeophyte 12 years ago.

• Author
    mikeyvthedon
    Participant

After what seemed like an eternity (as last years rosters were announced mid-January last year), the Nike Hoop Summit US Rosters were announced! Here are the 10 US players:

PG Marcus Paige (committed to North Carolina)

PG/SF Kyle Anderson (UCLA)

SG Gary Harris (Michigan State)

SG Rasheed Sulaimon (Duke)

SG/SF Archie Goodwin (Kentucky)

SG/SF Shabazz Muhammad (Undecided)

PF/C Tony Parker (Undecided)

PF/C Nerlens Noel (Undecided)

C Mitch McGary (Michigan)

C Kaleb Tarczewski (Arizona)

Should be cool! I am looking forward to attending practices with my friend butidonthaverubles and keeping you guys up to date with the happenings. Really glad to see Noel on the roster after his not being included in either the Jordan or McDonald’s game due to his late re-classification! Shabazz Muhammad is of course my odds on favorite for game MVP at the moment, but I will be anticipating the International Roster that should be out in a couple of weeks. The game is on April 7, 2012 at the Rose Garden in Portland, OR at 7 PST/10 EST. It is going to be televised by Fox Sports Net if you can’t make it live.

http://www.usabasketball.com/mens/hoopsummit/roster.html

gopack10
    Participant

No Rodney Purvis?

I think he is more deserving than Paige and Sulaimon.  He can play both guard spots so it can’t be a position thing.

ItsVictorOladipo
      Participant

No Rodney Purvis?

I think he is more deserving than Paige and Sulaimon. He can play both guard spots so it can’t be a position thing

————————————————————————————————————————

Rankings are always such a fickle topic, for a little while it looked like Purvis would be a top 3 player in the class of 2012 but his stock has fallen recently. Rivals still has him as the #6 player overall and the #2 PG but ESPN has him at #20 overall (being Goodwin, Sulaimon, Harris and just three spots ahead of Paige who is more of a true PG) and Scout has him as the #6 SG overall.

I am pretty surprised that Isaiah Austin wasn’t chosen and Tony Carter was picked over someone like Brandon Ashley but I am certainly interested in seeing how Carter and Tarczewski play.

Who do y’all think will be selected for the International team? Im thinking Steven Adams and Anthony Bennett are near locks but other than that I have no idea.

mikeyvthedon
    Participant

I have no idea how they choose the players, but I am guessing it is not all about being deserving and could possibly be about scheduling. Either way, definitely wanted to see Rodney Purvis, but I know that Marcus Paige is more of a traditional PG and the Sulaimon looked really impressive to me when I saw him play at the Global Challenge this summer. Not saying they are better than Rodney, but they are both intriguing prospects in their own right. Luckily enough, Rodney will be playing in both the McDonald’s All-American game and the Jordan Brand Classic.

Hale
    Participant

Kyle Anderson is a PG/SF? I’ve never seen that before.

Do you know anything about Paige, Mikey? I’ve never heard of him.

McDunkin

Goodwin or Shebazz will get MVP for the US

Mr. 19134
    Participant

Could Noel’s get a triple double in this game the Biyombo way?  Possible but I doubt it, I still think he has a huge game considering this is like his only showcase game.

I hope Kyle Anderson get’s to control the ball a lot in the game he’s the best passer on that roster IMO.  He also has the ability to get a 3xdouble.  

I like one of them 2 guys for MVP especially Noels.

mikeyvthedon
    Participant

He is from Iowa and considered by most recruiting sites to be the top "true PG" or close to it. He is not very big (apparently only 6’1 and a buck 60 or so), but is a really quick lefty with good court vision. Seems to be a solid shooter, but has the usual issues one would have when they lack strength (defense, rebounding). Apparently strong in transition and pressuring the ball, but can be posted down and sort of pushed around. Still, should be solid under Roy Williams and could benefit from possibly learning the ropes behind Kendall Marshall. Even so, should get early PT at UNC next year.

Kyle Anderson can really play anything. His nickname is "Slo-Mo" and he is incredibly versatile. Plus, you have seen PG/SF’s before, but they usually are classified as one or the other (LeBron James, for instance. But, Lamar Odom, Tracy McGrady and others were all over the board as far as positions went on the HS level). Kyle is not blessed with top notch athleticism, but he seems to get wherever he wants on the court and he has not lost a HS game in two years.

I saw him play Michael Kidd-Gilchrist last year in what was deemed "The National HS Championship" between his St. Anthony’s team and St. Patrick. Kyle played him to a tee and had the better overall contest as MKG failed to score in double figures. Kyle will probably be used as a PG and wing in college, but has been a PG for most of his HS career. He was measured as being 6’9 in shoes this past summer, so he definitely gets the Magic Johnson comparisons. He is not Magic, but he is a very versatile and talented player who should be an instant impact guy once he steps on campus. I am not sure whether he is a one and done type player, as his NBA prospects are pretty hard to decipher due to his lack of top end athleticism, but he appears destined to be a heavily debated player and I tend to see him eventually being a NBA point forward type.

Mr. 19134
    Participant

Slo-Mo is a very unusual player.  Like Kyle Anderson is about as athletic as Austin Daye yet he’ll find a way to keep up with the elite wings he has to face like MikeyV mentioned he played MKG very well last year.  If you haven’t saw Anderson play yet you must because this kid is a really special talent and comes off like a basketball savant on the court.  His court vision is supernatural, his handles are smooth and tight, he’s built like Tayshaun Prince and is about as athletic as Roy Hibbert.  Anderson was never really a great shooter and has made great strides in that department to bring himself above average but he knows how to score either way.  He’s a triple double threat everytime he steps on the court because of his playmaking skills and his 7’2" wingspan combined with his great anticipation skills make him a board hoarder.

I was so mad when he committed to UCLA mainly because he shunned Villanova who already had Ryan Arcidiacono who is the Jimmer of Jersey basketball right now, Daniel Ochefu, and his good friend an AAU teammate Savon Goodman, all signed to play for ‘Nova.  Kyle Anderson would of given ‘Nova a top 3 recruiting class and one of the most exciting in the nation.  Goodman has since backed out of his commitment to ‘Nova and might join Anderson at UCLA.  But I hate the fit for both of them.  Anderson is one player I would love to see play at Kentucky only because it’d be great to see him play in that offense around fellow peers with star power.  

I don’t know how Anderson fit’s into an offense that runs like his nickname, "Slo-Mo."  He’d be much more fun to watch play at an ACC or Big 12 school because they usually play at a quicker tempo.

Hale
    Participant

To be honest, I usually only see 2-5 recruits per year before the McDonalds game. I try to judge them as prospects by how they do in college, or if I have actually seen quite a bit of them in HS.

lalaila
    Participant

there are some guys but still..overall this class is really weak 

mikeyvthedon
    Participant

This class is definitely not incredibly strong, but I am not surprised Tony Parker made the team. I think they like taking guys in the Hoop Summit who have played internationally and Parker was really one of the only ones that fit the bill. He played on the 2009 US U-16 team and the 2010 U-17 team. On the second team, he and Justin Anderson were the only players who are in the HS class of 2012 (which featured James McAdoo, Mike Kidd-Gilchrist, Bradley Beal, Marquis Teague, Tony Wroten, Adonis Thomas and Andre Drummond among others). Kyle Anderson also played with Parker on a Team USA development team in 2009 and 2010.

While Brandon Ashley and Isaiah Austin are both more highly regarded long term prospects, I think Parker’s experience and size probably won him the spot. The European team tends to have huge guys and I am guessing Parker has some experience playing them, not to mention weighs 270 pounds. Parker also was MaxPreps.com’s Junior of the Year last year and while I agree that other prospects might possibly be more intriguing, he certainly seems like a good choice for this game.

http://www.maxpreps.com/news/krYtzWrWEeCkhgAcxJSkrA/boys-basketball-junior-all-american-team-.htm

mikeyvthedon
    Participant

These are always really intriguing, as they tend to get at least a few guys who end up becoming NBA level players and more who end up playing professionally overseas. I really have no idea who the locks are, since it is really all about scheduling and actually being able to get the players. They definitely wanted Ricky Rubio in 2009 and Jonas Valanciunas last year, but just could not get them over.

Also, I was kind of bummed that Myck Kabongo and Khem Birch did not play in the game last year, but the year before Tristan Thompson and Cory Joseph were able to make it. So, hopefully, Anthony Bennett will be present as well as Steven Adams. Besides them, I have a list of some possible candidates just from researching the domestic HS classes top international players and some top Europeans born in 1994/95 (guessing most players will be 18 or so). So, in no particular order, here are some possibilities:

• Rasmus Larsen, 6’11 PF/C (Denmark)
    • Hanner Perea, 6’9 F (Colombia): committed to Indiana
    • Peter Jurkin, 7′ C (Sudan): committed to Indiana
    • Anthony J.P. Cortesia, 6’8 SF (Venezuela): committed to Ole Miss
    • Nik Stauskas, 6’6 SF (Canada): committed to Michigan
    • Dyshawn Pierre, 6’6 SF (Canada)
    • Negus Webster-Chan, 6’7 SG (Canada): committed to Missouri
    • Stefan Jankovic, 6’9 PF (Canada): committed to Missouri
    • Danrad "Chicken" Knowles, 6’9 F (Bahamas): committed to Houston
    • Ioannis Papapetrou, 6’8 SF (Greece): committed to Texas
    • Dario Saric, 6’10 F (Croatia): Youngest player in the game last year, hopefully will play again. I know that Alexis Ajinca played twice and there were rumors Enes Kanter might play last year as well.
    • Mario Hezonja, 6’4 SG/SF (Croatia): 1995 born, hoping he pulls a Saric.
    • Vasilije Micic, 6’5 PG (Serbia): Plays on Serbia A-League Team Mega Vizura. Plays with Nenad Miljenovic, who was rumored to be a possibility to play in last years game, but was unable to :(. Hopeful to see this young guard.
    • Amadeo Della Valle, 6’6 SG (Italy): Plays for Findlay Prep
    • Giannoulis Larentzakis, 6’3 PG (Greece)
    • Mislav Brzoja, 6’6 SF (Croatia)
    • Volodymyr Gerun, 6’9 PF (Ukraine)
    • Simonas Kymantas, 6’10 C (Lithuania)
    • Dennis Schroder, 6’1 PG (Germany)
    • Boris Dallo, 6’5 G (France)
    • Mouhammadou "Mam" Jaiteh, 6’9 C (France)
    • Clint N’Dumba-Capela, 6’8 F (Switzerland)
    • Boris Bojanovsky, 7’2 C (Slovak Republic)
    • Pavlin Ivanov, 6’5 SG (Bulgaria)
    • Chris Ndow, 6’5 SF (Norway)
    • Or Solomon, 6’5 SF (Israel)
    • William Magarity, 6’9 PF (Sweden)
    • Zhelin Wang, 7’0 C (China)
    • Albert Homs, 6’7 SF (Spain)
    • Isaac Fotu, 6’6 SG (New Zealand/Tongan)
    • Nikola Cvorovic, 6’6 SF (Serbia)
    • Nikola Jankovic, 6’7 PF (Serbia)
    • Sinisa Cvetanovic, 6’6 SF (Serbia)
    • Nikola Mulitinov, 6’8 F (Serbia)
    • Jusuf Nurkic, 6’10 PF (Bosnia and Herzegovina)
    • Dusan Stankovic, 6’7 SF (Serbia)
    • Dusan Ristic, 6’10 PF/C (Serbia): Just won MVP of the Nike Junior International Tournament, though still only born in 1995 and 16 years old.

I am sure I am leaving a ton of people out, but I am actually pretty intrigued by a lot of these names. No matter how much this class seems to lack star power beyond Shabazz Muhammad, Nerlens Noel and Steven Adams, this International group could be pretty interesting. Have been to 3 of the last 4 Hoop Summit’s, only missing the one where the International team (led by Milan Macvan with help from Donatas Motiejunas and Kevin Seraphin) beat Team USA (featuring John Wall, DeMarcus Cousins and more players on losing teams now, lol).

Love seeing things competitive, best one for me thus far was 2010 when I believe the US only won 101-95, but both teams had major comebacks to grab decent leads. Really excited for this game and can’t wait to see who else makes it. Have no idea what to expect at the practices but I will be watching intently. Wish there were a little more excitement about this class in general, but the Hoop Summit is usually not at all a let down.

Onions
    Participant

Paige is more of a scoring PG than traditional, but he has a nice balance.  Probably the best balanced of this class if you don’t consider Anderson a PG.

Kid been killing it his senior year. Dropped 49 last game in the playoffs, scoring seven points in about 10 seconds to send the game to OT. Had a 46 point game earlier, averaging about 28 and 45-ish 3pt% while shooting a lot of them.

He’s small, but he has a good feel around the rim. Super body control. You can see on YouTube him catching nice alley oops (dunks not bad for a small guy) and finishing some crazy lazyups. Very good shooter.

Kind of remind me of Kenny Anderson, except obviously not nearly as good as he was at this stage. Similiar game and size, though.

Kyle Anderson is my favorite player on this class. He’s a triple dub waiting to happen.

Surprised Tony Parker over guys like Ashley and Austin.

peZt93
    Participant

How does this US roster compare to the last few years? I’m not an expert on High School Basketball, but just by looking at the names it looks a bit worse than the 2011 or 2010 team.

@mikeyvthedon

I think this year 1993 born players are allowed to play. So my guess for the international team would be like this if everyone is cleared to play.

G: Nenad Miljenovic

G: Dennis Schröder / Vasilije Micic

G: Mateusz Ponitka

G: Amadeo Della Valle

G: Mario Hezonja

F: Alex Abrines

F: Dario Saric

F: Sergej Karasev

F: Anthony Bennett

F: Hanner Perea / Mouhammadou Jaiteh / Rasmus Larsen

C: Steven Adams

C: Pzemek Karnowski

mikeyvthedon
    Participant

They were in the game last year. Ponitka actually led the International team in scoring with 17 points, looked pretty good and confident. Premo Karnowski only played 8 minutes and got 2 assists, but word was that during the practices he was pretty tough to stop. He is 7’1 and about 280, definitely skilled for his size but lacks ideal lateral quickness. Word is he might try to play NCAA basketball, though no word where.

http://www.europeanprospects.com/1993-born/center-1993-born/przemyslaw-karnowski-center-1993-born-1993-born/ponitka-and-karnowski-progressing-in-plk/

It is pretty rare that someone has played in it twice. Here are the names I found:

• Alexis Ajinca, France 2007-08
    • Bostjan Nachbar, Slovenia 1999-2000
    • Jovo Stanojevic, Yugoslavia (while it existed) 1995-96
    • Olumide Oyedji, Nigeria1999-2000
    • Antonis Fotsis, Greece 1998-99
    • Matthew Nielsen, Australia 1997-98

So, none since Ajinca, who started both and had a better second game. I have a feeling Karnowski may get a shot, but I doubt that Ponitka comes back. Personally, I would rather see Saric than either of them and I am guessing Nike feels the same way. This game has been a spring board to the American fans for quite a few international players careers and I think Nike wants this tournament to be diverse amongst the countries, but they would love to have Alumnus who have NBA pedigree. The more the better.

Not saying that Ponitka and Karnowski both will not be possible future draft picks, there is a lot of time. But, if you are choosing between the 3, Saric is where it is at. Add that he was the youngest players in last years game, think he is the most likely repeat. That is, if there is one.

Otherwise, 1993 is probably cool as well, I added a few names from there. The US team is 1993 and 1994 with only Mitch McGary as the 1992 (though he is still 19 when the game will take place). This years roster is kind of low on star power compared to the last few years.

Last year had Anthony Davis, Austin Rivers, Michael Kidd-Gilchrist and Bradley Beal who all look like future lottery picks or close to that range after just one year of college. Tony Wroten and Adonis Thomas might be down the line as well, with many assuming James Michael McAdoo comes back for another year at UNC and goes lotto.

This year, the jury is out on a lot of the American prospects. Shabazz Muhammad and Nerlens Noel look like future stars and are at or near the top of most 2013 Mock Drafts. The NBA prospects of the other players are very uncertain. Kyle Anderson is fantastic and I think is a college star right away, but I am not sure about him as a NBA prospect. The other SG’s are solid but not really in the class of Muhammad, while Tarczewski and McGary seem like they will need a few years of work at the college level.

The modus operandi for this game has been that while the International team is usually bigger and sometimes stronger shooters, the US team is usually much more athletic and controls the guard/wing play. When the International team has won, size has usually been the reason. Steven Adams has played well against all of the US bigs outside of Tony Parker (I just do not think they have played against each other), and he could really make a name for himself here (not that he hasn’t already, just even more so).

Bennett would be a match-up problem as well. The US big guys are just that, big, but no real hybrid 4’s to keep up with Anthony Bennett. The key will be guard play and defense, but I think this game could be really competitive. As the US is not incredibly deep, if they got an International team together this year that took them down, I would be all for it. Seems like the 1993 International class has kind of lacked star power as well, but hopefully we get some at the Hoop Summit.

McDunkin

Karnowski …as far as I know..still holds offers from Cincinnati, California, and Gonzaga

I hope Amadeo Della Valle gets invited. He has gotten some interest from major programs over the past few months with his play at Findley

PrecociousNeophyte
    Participant

Is it just me or does Tony Parker remind you of Renardo Sidney? They seem like the same person to me. Hopefully he does not end up like Sidney, but body type and playing style are very similar to me. I saw him play one game this year at the HoopHall Classic and he had a bad game and it looked like he was getting frustrated out there just like Sidney does almost every game. lol.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login