This topic contains 18 replies, has 13 voices, and was last updated by AvatarAvatar 3 No Biases 3 11 years, 2 months ago.

• Author
    3 No Biases 3
    Participant

Just my thoughts on the draft…weigh in.

Guys who should be considered for #1: Muhammad, Noel, Zeller

Although I can’t imagine any of these guys making multiple all-star teams all three of these guys play extremely hard and most importantly I believe these are the only 3 guys this year that you know what you are getting when you draft them.

Muhammad is an aggressive scorer who I can see playing the role of an OJ Mayo or JR Smith for many years. Looks like a lock to be a solid 16ppg scorer with potential to be a 20+ guy.

Noel is a freak of nature on defense and has an incredible work ethic. I don’t know if he’ll ever avg 10ppg in the league but I can see him as a crucial piece of a Title team with his rebounding, shotblocking, and heart. Will be a culture changer. I think of guys like Rodman and Ben Wallace as far as similar types of impacts.

Zeller I’ve never been really high on but I think he is probably the most well rounded player in this draft. He’s solid offensively with good potential, athletic, strong, rebounds it well, clearly smart, and gives 100% at all times. Looks like a similar #1 pick as Kenyon Martin in 01.

A risk reward scenario I could see Mclemore going one. I can picture a Ray Allen type performer but I also see Wesley Johnson as well.

Sleepers: Len, Goodwin – I can honestly see both of these players being the best in this draft in the right scenario. Len has so much skill and length. Underrated defensively and has range out to the 3 point line. Goodwin is so raw but he is unstoppable going to the rim and is super athletic. I honestly don’t think the comparisons of him and Dwayne Wade are far off, think of Wade as a Freshman at Marquette…

Notables who need to stay: Poythress, Austin, Everybody from Michigan. All these guys would sit for a few years before playing a game in the NBA. Poythress is the only one ready but for a supposedly smart kid he has no ball IQ. Austin is long, has great skill, but he is just a slow, tall shooting guard right now. Needs to work on his post game and bulk up. I guarantee he would sit for 3 to 4 years at least if he came out now. Although I believe Burke could contribute in the NBA I think scouts and coaches will be more willing to give him a shot if he stays all 4 years. He has limited upside. If poythress isnt ready Robinson III isn’t and Hardaway just doesn’t look like an NBA player to me..,

Thoughts???

Lebron’s Hairline
    Participant

How is Ben Maclemore not in consideration to be #1 but Cody Zeller still is??? I stopped reading after that.

3 No Biases 3
      Participant

I said “should be”…He’s in consideration for the top pick but I wouldn’t take him with it…I could see a bust with him and not with the other 3…

DipoTime
      Participant

I definitely agree that McLemore should be considered but why not Zeller? He is scoring better even though his team is better and they don’t always run the offense through him. In fact, they are more of a run and gun transition offense and he doesnt get a lot of touches unless they are putbacks and transition buckets. He is shooting 62.5% from the field and 72.8% from the line, he has improved his weaknesses in rebounding and defense while fouling less, and he is a legit 7′ 240lbs of muscle. He is incredibly smart, much more athletic than given credit for (not just jumping ability but speed, quickness, hand-eye coordination, body control, etc),he is a team player and he hustles as much as anybody. How is he not a consideration especially in a draft with no givens? Just because he hasn’t developed quite as much as some people thought? If I am drafting first and I need a big man I am taking Zeller over Noel, Len, and WCS.

FastAndFurious
    Participant

Ben McLemore def has a shot at being #1

Im with you on Archie Goodwin tho, he’s been struggling recently but I see a potential superstar IF he falls into the right situation in the NBA, his ability to get to the rim is remarkable and he is very athletic.

Trey Burke is iffy to me, no doubt he’s the best PG in college, but his NBA potential isn’t that great, at least to me it isn’t.

Burke is very small, doesn’t have that great burst, nor can he finish above the rim, people say CP3, I don’t see CP3, yes he is great in the pick and roll situation, but this is college the NBA is a different animal, plus CP3 can break anyone down off the dribble because his handle is great….Burke doesn’t have all that in his game.

I think he will be a 2nd to 3rd string player his entire career in the NBA, he has trouble breaking down average defenders in college, check the Northwestern,Iowa,Minnesota games if i’m lying, and we all saw what Aaron Craft does to him(locked him up 3 out of 4 times in 2 years)

WolfRob
    Participant

Aaron Craft is one hell of a defender though

FastAndFurious
    Participant

Craft is a great defender, but if you watch enough Trey Burke games, you will see he struggles in one on one situations, not all the time, but enough to where it’s a concern.

I mean he’s a pro PG, if he struggles with Craft in 75% of their meetings what is he going to do against guards who are 6’3, 6’4 quicker and stronger than Craft?

joe2324
      Participant

#1 overall pick has to be shabazz. He has so much raw talent and his celing is so high. I watch him play now and its decieving because it seems as if he isnt playing to his full potential; instead, just going with the motions until he is drafted. I think Shabazz will explode onto the scene in the NBA and if he isnt picked first overall, its a shame because someone is losing out.

jwostrum
        Participant

i agree joe. also the system he plays in is very restrictive to dominant scorers. shabazz is one of the most if not the most dominant scorer ben howland has had. when he gets to the nba he will be a stud. he will have access to the best stregnth and conditioning coaches and he will learn a lot from veteran players.

river09
    Participant

Not a bad first post. I agree with you on your thoughts about Mclemore, people on this site are really high on him, I’m a bit more skeptical. He honestly reminds me of a slightly more explosive Wayne Ellington and another KU one and done Xavier Henry.. I don’t think Zeller ought to be considered for the number one spot, he doesn’t have that one element that blows you away like all number one picks have. Shabazz and Noel both have that seemingly unlimited ceiling, either one of them at number 3 will be a steal…

For_Never_Ever
    Participant

I agree with Archie Goodwin. On just pure body and athleticism he is the closes I’ve ever seen to Dwyane Wade when he was in college.

Nerlen Noels I would draft him for a great defensive anchor not expecting him to score much other then put backs and lobs. But he is a player that needs to be surrounded by good players because he lacks a offensive game. I wouldn’t knock anybody for picking him first.

For_Never_Ever
    Participant

I don’t believe Cody Zeller will be as good or better then Brook Lopez. Brook changed my mind, he is a lot better then I have ever suspected he would be, but even knowing how good he is now. I still wouldn’t be able to take him first overall in a draft.

3 No Biases 3
      Participant

I agree, I know it would be hard to take a guy like Zeller #1. I was just going with what I thought would be the safest picks in a weak draft this year. I just can’t imagine the 3 that I posted not having solid NBA careers…

Jordo
    Participant

Did he say McClemore could WesleyJohnson? Damn that’s disrespectful

3 No Biases 3
      Participant

I said he could be another Wes Johnson for sure…I do however think he could be great also but that’s why I wouldn’t risk a #1 on him…Everyone thought Wes was going to be a stud…went 4th in a pretty solid draft class…

Hadzialijagic
    Participant

No stop it with the McLemore- Wes Johnson comparisons. Ive been a syracuse fan for a couple years so ive seen Wes Johnson play and they are absolutely nothing alike. Wes Johnson was a SF who was incorrectly used as a shooting guard in the NBA. Johnson had a good mid range game but his 3 point shooting left something to be desired. McLemore on the other hand is deadly shooting the ball. Johnson isnt the athlete McLemore is though. Wes Johnson doesnt have the ceiling of a McLemore and i dont know how you are saying Wes Johnson was a boom-bust pick. Wes Johnson was supposed to be the safest pick in the draft. He was supposed to come into the league and be a career 15 point 7 rebound a game guy. Unfortunately for him when he was drafted he was played out of position at the two when he should have been at the 3 and i feel that really shook his confidence.

he_gets_buckets
    Participant

You lost me as soon as you compared Cody Zeller to Kenyon Martin

3 No Biases 3
      Participant

Mentioning that it’s not a flashy but a safe #1 pick…

but you’ve confused me a bit as to why that’s a horrible comparison in play styles as well…

Malik-Universal
    Participant

i knew wes johnson wasnt gnna be sh*t in the nba…. he never had handles or any offensive moves in college

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login