This topic contains 36 replies, has 15 voices, and was last updated by AvatarAvatar R-Dot-13 12 years, 9 months ago.

• Author
    laarethekings
    Participant

Greg Oden gets an 8.8 million dollar offer for one year of work to stay with the Blazers?!? They just got done paying this young man around 20 million for 82 games. He made 6.2 mill last year and didn’t play… so the best thing to do is give him a pay raise of 2.2 million. 

Same thing with Kwame Brown, guy has made over 50 million in the Nba without being good at all.

It’s crazy to think that owners are saying there broke… stop paying guys like this! It’s bad business.

Anyways good for Greg Oden… hope he gives them what they’ve paid for the last five years.

Cincinatti Bowties
    Participant

Very good point about the owners. The best way to stop overpaying players is simply…STOP OVER PAYING THEM!!!! In fairness to the Blazers you cant let someone with as much potential as Oden walk away for nothing. Greg should request a trade to Phoenix.

Cincinatti Bowties
    Participant

Very good point about the owners. The best way to stop overpaying players is simply…STOP OVER PAYING THEM!!!! In fairness to the Blazers you cant let someone with as much potential as Oden walk away for nothing. Greg should request a trade to Phoenix.

r377r377
    r377
    Participant

so many players are overpaid, no wonder some of the owners are going broke and CBA problems.

r377r377
    r377
    Participant

so many players are overpaid, no wonder some of the owners are going broke and CBA problems.

JJeff6
    Participant

Vince carters contract barring a buyout has him making 18 mil plus next year…insane!! he worth maybe 3 or 4 mil at best at this stage in his career.  Rip hamilton is another suspect of overpayment.

JJeff6
    Participant

Vince carters contract barring a buyout has him making 18 mil plus next year…insane!! he worth maybe 3 or 4 mil at best at this stage in his career.  Rip hamilton is another suspect of overpayment.

bigdaddybluesman
    Participant

This is exactly what I talk about. These owners allow their GMs to pay players who can’t play. Either they are always hurt or just not even to minimal NBA standard as backups. Yet they dole out millions for these guys. Now they have the gall to tell everybody how broke they are.

Sure keep paying players who can’t play 10 million dollars a year and sure of course your broke. How about paying players who actually play, what a novel idea!!!!

Even David West coming off an injury, he’s going to get about 10-12 million a year. Yet he may never be the same player he was. It doesn’t matter, hope is good enough.

So when the NBA owners allow their GMs to do this they cannot cry poverty to me. I just do not believe them. Buying out players contracts for millions of dollars. That is not how to do business.

Right now I agree with some of the things the owners are saying but they must take responsibility for those stupid decisions and they refuse. You can’t just take everything back over night. It has to take time and the owners are like a bunch of spoiled kids. They want it all back now yet they still give a guy who has done nothing but be injured 8 million dollars. I don’t get it………

bigdaddybluesman
    Participant

This is exactly what I talk about. These owners allow their GMs to pay players who can’t play. Either they are always hurt or just not even to minimal NBA standard as backups. Yet they dole out millions for these guys. Now they have the gall to tell everybody how broke they are.

Sure keep paying players who can’t play 10 million dollars a year and sure of course your broke. How about paying players who actually play, what a novel idea!!!!

Even David West coming off an injury, he’s going to get about 10-12 million a year. Yet he may never be the same player he was. It doesn’t matter, hope is good enough.

So when the NBA owners allow their GMs to do this they cannot cry poverty to me. I just do not believe them. Buying out players contracts for millions of dollars. That is not how to do business.

Right now I agree with some of the things the owners are saying but they must take responsibility for those stupid decisions and they refuse. You can’t just take everything back over night. It has to take time and the owners are like a bunch of spoiled kids. They want it all back now yet they still give a guy who has done nothing but be injured 8 million dollars. I don’t get it………

McDunkin

..but on the other hand Greg Oden has to wake up every day with the face of a 50 year old

McDunkin

..but on the other hand Greg Oden has to wake up every day with the face of a 50 year old

TallmanNYC
    Participant

Dude don’t buy into that bullpoopy that the Owners are going broke. Here is a link to the Knicks net worth, but you can cycle through and find your favorite team if you are curious. Sure a few teams had some losses for a few millions last year. But we are just getting out of a huge recession and also some teams are just bad and have problems (like the Nets who aren’t even playing in their new city yet). Check out how many of the teams were bought for like $30 million and can now be sold for $250 million. Golden State Warriors just sold for what, $400 million? Sounds like a business that someone thinks will make a lot of money. 

http://www.forbes.com/lists/2010/32/basketball-valuations-11_New-York-Knicks_328815.html

TallmanNYC
    Participant

Dude don’t buy into that bullpoopy that the Owners are going broke. Here is a link to the Knicks net worth, but you can cycle through and find your favorite team if you are curious. Sure a few teams had some losses for a few millions last year. But we are just getting out of a huge recession and also some teams are just bad and have problems (like the Nets who aren’t even playing in their new city yet). Check out how many of the teams were bought for like $30 million and can now be sold for $250 million. Golden State Warriors just sold for what, $400 million? Sounds like a business that someone thinks will make a lot of money. 

http://www.forbes.com/lists/2010/32/basketball-valuations-11_New-York-Knicks_328815.html

JoeWolf1

^ I think 9 teams made a profit, NY, Chicago, Lakers, big market teams are fine, it’s the smaller ones that are losing money and as an average of all the teams is where they got that 300 million number.

JoeWolf1

^ I think 9 teams made a profit, NY, Chicago, Lakers, big market teams are fine, it’s the smaller ones that are losing money and as an average of all the teams is where they got that 300 million number.

mikeyvthedon
    Participant

Pays players who are not able to play. It still counts against your salary cap, but they could not let Greg just walk away. It is an awful situation, but I am guessing that being 7 feet and 285 pounds is not all it is cracked up to be. The money would be amazing, but it is not like this guy is not in severe pain and killing inside because he has not been able to play. Plus, it is not like Greg Oden has not made money for the team either, and for Nike in merchandising. It is not like he did not sell tickets and create excitement. He still is a sponsor of Cricket phones, and he is still a draw. Yes, I have a pain in my stomach justifying how a person could make that much without playing, but I think that the answer is, on average these guys make more money for people than they are being paid. Of course owners are arguing the contrary, but I still believe that in the end they make a fairly large profit, either from selling the team or just in general.

mikeyvthedon
    Participant

Pays players who are not able to play. It still counts against your salary cap, but they could not let Greg just walk away. It is an awful situation, but I am guessing that being 7 feet and 285 pounds is not all it is cracked up to be. The money would be amazing, but it is not like this guy is not in severe pain and killing inside because he has not been able to play. Plus, it is not like Greg Oden has not made money for the team either, and for Nike in merchandising. It is not like he did not sell tickets and create excitement. He still is a sponsor of Cricket phones, and he is still a draw. Yes, I have a pain in my stomach justifying how a person could make that much without playing, but I think that the answer is, on average these guys make more money for people than they are being paid. Of course owners are arguing the contrary, but I still believe that in the end they make a fairly large profit, either from selling the team or just in general.

JoeWolf1

Yeah, I was talking about this on another post and Portland really isn’t in a position to let him go either.  Marcus Camby is their 37 year old starter and 210lb Chris Johnson and Earl Barron are the only other centers on their roster.  They need depth at that position, especially since they are one of those teams that is trying to make the jump from a playoff seed to a contender and if Greg Oden plays 15-20 mpg, gets healthy and plays close to the level he did in 09-10 it’d be worth it.  He makes that team better, even if it’s a limited role, but 8.8 is a lot to pay him…but I think it’s more to discourage someone else from beating it.  For all the crap Portland gets for drafting Oden over Durant they’d get even more if they let him go as a restricted free agent and he reached his potential or close to it with another team.

JoeWolf1

Yeah, I was talking about this on another post and Portland really isn’t in a position to let him go either.  Marcus Camby is their 37 year old starter and 210lb Chris Johnson and Earl Barron are the only other centers on their roster.  They need depth at that position, especially since they are one of those teams that is trying to make the jump from a playoff seed to a contender and if Greg Oden plays 15-20 mpg, gets healthy and plays close to the level he did in 09-10 it’d be worth it.  He makes that team better, even if it’s a limited role, but 8.8 is a lot to pay him…but I think it’s more to discourage someone else from beating it.  For all the crap Portland gets for drafting Oden over Durant they’d get even more if they let him go as a restricted free agent and he reached his potential or close to it with another team.

NYCrealdeal
    Participant

he did not earn tht money. stupid owners

NYCrealdeal
    Participant

he did not earn tht money. stupid owners

Jlv2011

overpaid and overrated.

Jlv2011

overpaid and overrated.

mds0549
    Participant

Who would have thought that Mike Connley was the better draft pick out of Ohio State that year? He is playing and earning his second contract

mds0549
    Participant

Who would have thought that Mike Connley was the better draft pick out of Ohio State that year? He is playing and earning his second contract

IndianaBasketball
    Participant

The city of Portland and the Blazers have been very good to Oden, but I was hoping they didn’t give him the offer. I know he feels like he owes the city and the team, but I just feel like he needs a fresh start. Sometimes people just need a fresh start so they’re not re-living their failures, let downs, disappointments, etc over and over again.

I’m a huge Oden fan and still believe that he can be a very good player. Not the superstar that I thought he’d be, but still very good… Especially rebounding the ball and at the defensive end.

I saw him in Indianapolis not too long ago and he looked good. He’s lost weight. He’s lean, but bulked up in the right places. I didn’t notice any limp in his walk.

IndianaBasketball
    Participant

The city of Portland and the Blazers have been very good to Oden, but I was hoping they didn’t give him the offer. I know he feels like he owes the city and the team, but I just feel like he needs a fresh start. Sometimes people just need a fresh start so they’re not re-living their failures, let downs, disappointments, etc over and over again.

I’m a huge Oden fan and still believe that he can be a very good player. Not the superstar that I thought he’d be, but still very good… Especially rebounding the ball and at the defensive end.

I saw him in Indianapolis not too long ago and he looked good. He’s lost weight. He’s lean, but bulked up in the right places. I didn’t notice any limp in his walk.

Muggsy
    Participant

I deffinitely think keeping him isn’t a bad move, but raising his salary probably is…I really hope he gets healthy one day, I’m still anxious to see him play in top form…I mean he’s only like 23 still? Has plenty of time to get healed up and become the dominating player that was expected.

Muggsy
    Participant

I deffinitely think keeping him isn’t a bad move, but raising his salary probably is…I really hope he gets healthy one day, I’m still anxious to see him play in top form…I mean he’s only like 23 still? Has plenty of time to get healed up and become the dominating player that was expected.

IndianaBasketball
    Participant

He’s had three major knee surgeries, but the great thing is that none of them were involving his mensicus or ligaments. He’s had the broken kneecap and microfracture (articular cartilage) on both knees. According to the team doctor, his right knee is stronger now than it was before after microfracture. I’m hoping the same with his left knee. Microfracture surgery really isn’t as bad as it once was. Doctor’s are beginning to perfect it.

I really think he can get healthy and still become a very good player. Youth is still on his side.

IndianaBasketball
    Participant

He’s had three major knee surgeries, but the great thing is that none of them were involving his mensicus or ligaments. He’s had the broken kneecap and microfracture (articular cartilage) on both knees. According to the team doctor, his right knee is stronger now than it was before after microfracture. I’m hoping the same with his left knee. Microfracture surgery really isn’t as bad as it once was. Doctor’s are beginning to perfect it.

I really think he can get healthy and still become a very good player. Youth is still on his side.

aamir543
    Participant

I hope Oden resurects his career and becomes the dominant big man we all thought he could be. Even 15 and 9 would shut up critics, and we all know what he is capable of.

On a side note, I have the owners 350 million right here:

Vince Carter ($17.5m), Richard Hamilton ($12.5m), Baron Davis ($13m), Jose Calderon ($9m), Gilbert Arenas ($17.7m), Rashard Lewis ($19.6m), Michael Redd ($18.3m), Matt Carroll ($4.3m), Mike Dunleavy ($10.6m), Jason Kapono ($6.6m), Andrei Kirilenko ($17.8m), Marvin Williams ($7.2m), Jared Jeffries ($6.8m), Vlad Radmanovic ($6.8m), Hedo Turkoglu ($10.2m), Boris Diaw ($9m), Marcus Banks ($4.8m), Joel Pryzbilla ($7.4m), TJ Ford (8.5m), Darius Songalia ($4.8m), Andris Biedrins ($9m), Yao Ming ($17.7m), Sam Dalembert ($13.4m), Memo Okur ($9.9m), DeSagana Diop ($6.4m), Jermaine O’Neal ($5.7m), Eddy Curry ($11.2m), Dan Gadzuric ($7.2m), Troy Murphy ($11.9m).

aamir543
    Participant

I hope Oden resurects his career and becomes the dominant big man we all thought he could be. Even 15 and 9 would shut up critics, and we all know what he is capable of.

On a side note, I have the owners 350 million right here:

Vince Carter ($17.5m), Richard Hamilton ($12.5m), Baron Davis ($13m), Jose Calderon ($9m), Gilbert Arenas ($17.7m), Rashard Lewis ($19.6m), Michael Redd ($18.3m), Matt Carroll ($4.3m), Mike Dunleavy ($10.6m), Jason Kapono ($6.6m), Andrei Kirilenko ($17.8m), Marvin Williams ($7.2m), Jared Jeffries ($6.8m), Vlad Radmanovic ($6.8m), Hedo Turkoglu ($10.2m), Boris Diaw ($9m), Marcus Banks ($4.8m), Joel Pryzbilla ($7.4m), TJ Ford (8.5m), Darius Songalia ($4.8m), Andris Biedrins ($9m), Yao Ming ($17.7m), Sam Dalembert ($13.4m), Memo Okur ($9.9m), DeSagana Diop ($6.4m), Jermaine O’Neal ($5.7m), Eddy Curry ($11.2m), Dan Gadzuric ($7.2m), Troy Murphy ($11.9m).

mikeyvthedon
    Participant

I am with you man, even as a Blazer fan, I think it might be best to give Greg a fresh start somewhere. But, I think that this could be the best way for it to happen, for both parties. It seems likely to me that Greg waits until next season to sign his extension, which would either make him an unrestricted free agent or would maybe get him traded to a team that he could start over with. To let Greg go without ever knowing what he could be capable of would have been fairly devastating.

I really hope the best for him, and I would have to say that Portland’s training staff obviously looks bad in the light of everything that has happened, but I have a feeling that it would have been incredibly difficult to prevent these injuries. I know that the staff has worked on rehab with Greg and other players tirelessly, and I doubt that Paul Allen would skimp on such a thing. It is true that Portland might not be in Greg’s future after this year, but I will root for Greg no matter what. He is my favorite Center in the league, even with everything that has happened, and I will root for him regardless of where he ends up.

I too think he could be a major force rebounding and on the defensive end, and I do not think very many individual defenders can cover him when he is healthy and on his game. Whether it be for the Blazers, or someone else, taking a gamble on Greg Oden could pay-off BIG TIME in ones championship aspirations. Just ask Dallas when they picked up Tyson Chandler, who had played 96 games in two seasons where he was paid a combined 23.2 million. They took a 12.6 million dollar gamble on a player OKC had rejected as damaged goods and it paid off in them finding a defensive anchor and him playing a major part in them winning a ring. Tyson and Greg are not guys you build around for a ring, but they are pieces that could potentially plays huge parts in bringing one home.

mikeyvthedon
    Participant

I am with you man, even as a Blazer fan, I think it might be best to give Greg a fresh start somewhere. But, I think that this could be the best way for it to happen, for both parties. It seems likely to me that Greg waits until next season to sign his extension, which would either make him an unrestricted free agent or would maybe get him traded to a team that he could start over with. To let Greg go without ever knowing what he could be capable of would have been fairly devastating.

I really hope the best for him, and I would have to say that Portland’s training staff obviously looks bad in the light of everything that has happened, but I have a feeling that it would have been incredibly difficult to prevent these injuries. I know that the staff has worked on rehab with Greg and other players tirelessly, and I doubt that Paul Allen would skimp on such a thing. It is true that Portland might not be in Greg’s future after this year, but I will root for Greg no matter what. He is my favorite Center in the league, even with everything that has happened, and I will root for him regardless of where he ends up.

I too think he could be a major force rebounding and on the defensive end, and I do not think very many individual defenders can cover him when he is healthy and on his game. Whether it be for the Blazers, or someone else, taking a gamble on Greg Oden could pay-off BIG TIME in ones championship aspirations. Just ask Dallas when they picked up Tyson Chandler, who had played 96 games in two seasons where he was paid a combined 23.2 million. They took a 12.6 million dollar gamble on a player OKC had rejected as damaged goods and it paid off in them finding a defensive anchor and him playing a major part in them winning a ring. Tyson and Greg are not guys you build around for a ring, but they are pieces that could potentially plays huge parts in bringing one home.

R-Dot-13
    Participant

Even if he resurrects his career, he’s still no Kevin Durant.

R-Dot-13
    Participant

Even if he resurrects his career, he’s still no Kevin Durant.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login