This topic contains 7 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by AvatarAvatar KHAM83 11 years, 1 month ago.

• Author
    cavairo7
    Participant

This season has been terrible I get that. We could talk and question all the moves this team has made in the past year and a half but I’m not concerned with such things. They are bad and that is final. But as a fan I want to look into the future. How can the Suns turn this around?

Right now, they are projected with the 5th pick and the 13th pick. Two guys I am really interested in the Suns getting in that 5th pick range are Marcus Smart and Anthony Bennett. I’ve seen Smart’s play all season long but nothing has stuck out as much as his play against Oklahoma last week. While the Cowboys won the game as a collective unit, you could see Smart’s teammates feeding off of his competitive fire and determination to win no matter what. The Suns don’t have that type of player at all (Tucker has similar intensity but doesn’t look to take over and win the game) and it takes guys like Smart to change the losing culture around. Bennett is the same way. These guys are changing the culture of their teams and emulating their contagious competitiveness upon there teammates and adding excitement to the fan base of both universities.

With the 13th pick the Suns should consider Noel if he slides down because of the Suns strong history with rehabilitating players with injuries and the fact that the Suns are building for the future so they can be patient with Noel. Also the Suns should consider Lil Dog Glenn Robinson III. He is a great athlete who reminds me of Kawhi Leonard in that he is coachable and knows his role on the team. He is still developing and giving him a more established guy like Smart or Bennett to grow with would definitely help him with the growing pains of the NBA (think of Tristan Thompson with Kyrie Irving or LaMarcus Aldridge with Brandon Roy).

Overall as long as the Suns use the 2013 as a way to start a culture change, I’ll be satisfied. I understand that there may not be star like LeBron who will change everything but I see that it will take time just like it did with the Bulls. First they got Gordon and Deng, then Noah, and then Rose. Like the Bulls the Suns should concentrate on getting the pieces in place. That star may come along later but regardless you need that foundation first. Durant couldn’t do it by himself. He needed Westbrook and Harden to get to the finals. He needed pieces around him. The Suns need to get those pieces for that guy. And even if they never get a superstar, teams like Memphis and Indiana have shown that the right pieces can still contend for the title. Lets just see if the Suns can capitalize on the 2013 draft, getting the pieces in place for future success.

KHAM83
    Participant

Noel will not fall anywhere close to the 11th pick. They have drafted pg and pf with their most recent lotto picks, and I don’t see then giving up on Marshall or Morris just yet. They’ll probably draft two wings with both picks. Porter, Muhammad, or Glen Rob with their first pick, assuming they don’t win a top 2 pick, then target a backcourt mate like Goodwin or Caldwell-Pope with their second pick. Reason why Smart isn’t a good pick is again bc of Marshall. He was a lotto pick and Smart isn’t that strong of a shooter. Marshall needs a shooter next to him.

Chilbert arenas
    Participant

Also a Suns fan here. First we have to root for the Suns and the Lakers to continue to lose for our draft positioning. 2nd I would like to take either Smart or Porter with our first pick. Both seem to have bright futures in the league and somewhat safe picks that most likely won’t be stars. GR3 would be my ideal pick at 13 since we can afford to develop young players now, but if Noel slipped we’d have to take him thanks to our best player, Aaron Nelson. Archie Goodwin and Trey Burke would also have to be in play for that pick as well. I’m not sold on anyone on our team at this point so I”m going for best player available with star potential.

Bird_Years
    Participant

I like the summary, but you can’t really use the Bulls as an example, I’m pretty sure they were 9th or 10th most likely to get the first overall pick in 2008. You can’t count on getting the first overall once your team has a decent amount of talent (Apparently you can’t count on it even when you post the worst winning % of all time *cough* Bobcats). That being said, if they draft two rookies and give them plenty of playing time next year they could have another top 5 pick in a draft that could provide a franchise changer. Hopefully Suns management are able to keep from improving too much in 2014 without killing the player’s spirits (like Sacramento).

KHAM83
    Participant

Keep in mind, Hunter was promoted to head coach from head scout! He picked Marshall and Morris. He’s not gonna give up on them so soon. Suns will not draft pg or pf this upcoming draft.

Chilbert arenas
    Participant

Of course we could hope for the best and get Ben Mclamore. Únless we trade Gortat this week I don’t care for Zeller and we don’t need anymore undersized 4’s like Bennett. I’m not sold on Kendall Marshal just yet but we also have a big chunk of money to Goran.

Chilbert arenas
    Participant

That might be true with the lotto picks but if we could get Patrick Young CJ Leslie or Lorenzo Brown with the 35th pick I think we should

KHAM83
      Participant

Definitely, you want depth.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login