This topic contains 21 replies, has 10 voices, and was last updated by AvatarAvatar Thepessimest 10 years, 11 months ago.

• Author
    Snowta
    Participant

Just noticed that Rivals now has Aaron Gordon ranked #3 and Jabari Parker #4 for the 2013 class. Does anyone else think that’s kind of ridiculous? I understand Gordon’s upside due to his athleticism, but I can’t help but think this switch was based completely on the MAAG, which to me doesn’t make sense. Jabari is a true 3 who has a great feel for the game and probably has the best all around game of anyone in the country. Gordon on the other hand is a tweener that I feel like will struggle to score in the half court offense. Don’t get me wrong Gordon will be a special player next year when he gets out on the break and no doubt will have his fair share of highlight reel dunks. Haven’t seen enough of either of them defensively, but I’d assume Gordon has a little more defensive potential again due to his athleticism. That aside, I guess I just feel like at this point in time a year from now if I was faced with the decision of drafting one of these two I’d go with Jabari hands down. I know you can’t teach athleticism, but I’d argue you also can’t teach the type of intangibles Jabari has. I don’t agree with these rankings, but I’m curious what other people think.

Lotto Stud
    Participant

I don’t follow Rivals but I think it’s pretty fair.

mikeyvthedon
    Participant

Parker is so much more skilled than either, it is fairly glaring. If you could see them doing skill work and playing in the scrimmages last night, think you would have a hard time accepting Gordon as a better prospect than Parker. Really do not think it is close. I know Gordon had a much better McDonald’s Game, but Parker had a much better Jordan Classic.

Those two really should not matter much, what does matter is Parker’s skill set translating much more to the NBA level. He is super smooth, his shooting mechanics are a thing of beauty and his court vision is well beyond either Randle and especially Gordon. I like Julius more than Gordon as well, just think Parker is better than both of them. Think that Wiggins and Parker are most definitely the standouts in this class and Gordon will need a lot of work to join them, especially if he wants to play the 3. The big issue with Gordon is that he is pretty much a tweener, do not think Parker will have to worry as much about finding a position as he is very impressive from a skills stand point.

Siggy
    Participant

Parker might be more skilled than Randle, but the gap b/t them in skill isn’t nearly as wide as the gap b/t Parker and Gordon. What Randle can do better than Parker is combine the skill that he does have (his ability to attack off the bounce) with bruising physicality. He’s easily the most physical player in this class. Gordon over Parker is just silly though. Gordon’s just an athletic energy guy, stuck in b/t positions so he feels the need to showcase perimeter skills that he doesn’t have. Nice dunks, but the rest of his game outside of his passing is ugly.

jwostrum
    Participant

rivals just made me laugh and lost my respect at the same time. Gordon ranked higher than parker, they must be high.

Forte IV
    Participant

I love Gordon as a player, I really do. But we need to remember he is a 6’7/6’8 PF. He has some perimeter skills but hes a PF. He’s literally a mix of Blake Griffin and Derrick Williams. Overall, Parker is a better player, and shouldn’t be below Gordon.

Thepessimest
    Participant

I love both players (saw Gordon play in person) but this really is a poor judgment in my opinion. I can understand Julius Randle…I cannot understand Aaron Gordon. And I am a fan.

The thing people need to understand about Jabari Parker is that he isn’t unathletic; he just hasn’t conditioned his body to maximize his athleticism yet. The way his body looks either he isn’t done growing or he hasn’t touched a weight. Ideally you have to believe that at Duke his body will change. Understanding that; he has so many tools. He can handle it, shoot it, pass it…understands defenses. He can post. He has a step back, good footwork on the perimeter, etc. Aaron Gordon appears almost at his peak athletically (although only 17) but has to improve his perimeter/shooting skills. And it is easier to tighten your body than to transfer from a post player to a SF.

I want to make clear that I think both are exceptional players but Parker is so far ahead skill wise that it’s irresponsible to rank Gordon ahead of Parker as of today.

To quote Van Gundy when most people say the word talent they always refer to athletic ability. This is so true in this instance.

Talent is also the ability to think, foot work, use of angles, etc. And in that regard Parker is ahead of both.

tbp82
    Participant

Its been a pretty good all-star season for Aaron Gordon. Read everywhere he was the most impressive player in the Mcdonald’s practices. Then he took over that game and won MVP. He didn’t do as well in the Jordan game but, he got some good news at the measurements for the Nike Hoop Summit as he measured 6’9 without shoes and had a better standing reach and wingspan than Randle did so Gordon has legit Power Forward size according to his Nike Hoops Summit. If this measurement is legit (and according to ESPN it is) then Gordon goes from being a tweener/undersized Power Forward to a legit Power Forward which justifies his ranking even more.

lalaila
      Participant

but I believe it’s a bit of a difference one is 212lbs the other 248lbs while scouts say Julius looks as lean as ever been

Siggy
      Participant

Hopefully with these measurements Gordon will stop trying to prove to everyone that he’s a SF when he’s clearly not.

lalaila
        Participant

everything goes into Derrick Wiliams type of scenario..
        which may mean he will really play great in college but as a NBA fan i don’t like it at all

tbp82
    Participant

Thepessimest love that you threw that part in there.

“Aaron Gordon appears almost at his peak athletically (although only 17) but has to improve his perimeter/shooting skills. And it is easier to tighten your body than to transfer from a post player to a SF.”

Does it not matter that he is only 17 since most of the others are 18. Thus giving him slightly more upside.

Also as being mentioned by some other sites he measured legit Power Forward size at the hoops summit doesn’t that make the so called transition from post player to SF even less of an issue?

Thepessimest
      Participant

If Gordon measured 6’9 without shoes on (wow if this is true) then potentially I would retract some of what I said. He just doesn’t appear that long on the court. I would still like him to develop a 15 footer to go along with his ball handling and ridiculous motor. Wow I didn’t realize he measured that well. Where did you get those measurements? I think I also heard Jabari Parker measured 6’9 as well. Is this true? If someone has the insider on the practices from ESPN or the observations please post them. Would love to see them. (I used to have insider but man I can’t pay 3 dollars a month for information on sports. That’s ridiculous LMBO).

Siggy
        Participant

Gordon measured 6’9 with shoes on, but that sounds dubious. He fails the eye test He looks shorter than Randle who also measured in at 6’9. Must’ve been wearing some really thick shoes or had lifts on.
        I also agree that Gordon does not appear that long on the court, but he was measured with a 8’10.5 standing reach which is solid for a PF.

BTW, Jabari measured in at 6’8 with a 7′ wingspan, but only a 8’8 standing reach.

Thepessimest
          Participant

http://www.draftexpress.com/article/2013-Hoop-Summit-USA-Junior-Team-Measurements-4147

Just found the measurements here. Gordon is only 17 years old and he could really still get a lot better as all these young men can. He appears to be a ridiculous hard worker. This class is going to make college basketball fun to watch. And I can’t wait for the game today. I have the DVR set.

Siggy
            Participant

If you wanna live I suggest you remove that link.

lalaila
    Participant

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qp4VE54DVpI

if someone likes it there is a new Gordon’s individual workout..

I’m sceptical about the skill and size of him making fulltime STAR player at any position, but when you are hearing the guy is work horse you will never know..

also..I like his 6’9 measurements but 212lbs?? he looks really wide and muscular and i have heard in Cal they list him 224..

either way he might have 3% body fat, and IDK if 240pounder Jabari is any stronger than him

tbp82
      Participant

Yeah Gordon is a lean guy while Jabari is a thicker/softer guy. Gordon has that lean/athletic build while Parker has a stockier build. Gordon’s body and physique looks to be headed in a Blake Griffin type direction while Parker’s looks to be headed in a Carmelo Anthony/Paul Pierce type direction.

Entropy
    Participant

Since when has these recruitment been about being a better player?

Its always been about potential and what they can become. Does Aaron Gordon have more potential than parker?

I thinks its debatable and can go either way.

Siggy
      Participant

Its a combination of both potential and what they currently are as players.
      IMO, Gordon isn’t the better player currently nor does he have more potential.

tbp82
      Participant

Id say so he’s younger, more raw, more athelitic while Parker is smoother with more skills. Gordon can add the mid-range game the post game while Parker is closer to a finished product. Personally, I think Parker is a future NBA Small Forward while Gordon *should* be a Power Forward but I think Gordon has the higher ceiling.

Thepessimest
      Participant

Those who say Gordon has more “potential” than Parker are basing this on athleticism. And so if you are asking if Gordon is more athletic than Parker then the answer is yes.

But basketball is about “thinking” as well. And from the small sample size I’ve seen of each Parker simply thinks the game better and sees plays before they happen. That plays into what kind of player each becomes. Also, Gordon is a phenomenal athlete. Parker is still somewhat pudgy and appears to not understand diet and training yet.

Leaning out, changing his diet, and getting a weight program can drastically change how he moves. And it is easier to change your body than it is for someone to change their game or skill level.

Feel for the game is harder to acquire than a 6 pack.

And honestly just by looking at Parker I can tell he plays a lot of basketball but probably does not touch weights. I can tell this by the fact that when he was hurt he gained about 20-25 pounds and looks awful. He will need to get this in check.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login