Who Should Coach TEAM USA in 2016?

RUDEBOY_
RUDEBOY_'s picture
Who Should Coach TEAM USA in 2016?

1.Greg Popovich-Is the perfect person to handle the egos & personalities of the players..His Spurs style of play is similar to that of the International game..1 drawback from Pop being name coach is the fact that he and Jerry Colangelo don't get along...

2.Doc Rivers-Rivers has spoken out in public about his desire to coach the team..Rivers is a former player and knows how to communicate with the players..Rivers was on the 1982 FIBA team that won Silver..Rivers was the game's MVP,but refused to accpect his MVP Trophy ..The public address anouncer begged and pleaded for him to come and accept his trophy..But Rivers never did....

3.Jim Boeheim-Has served on served International teams as an assistant...

4.Mike D'Antonio-Has both palyed and coach in the International play..Plus he knows the 3 point line and zone defenses...

5.Doug Collins is still peeved about being robbed at the 1972 games and that was 40 years ago..Winning Gold Medal ,might ease some of the pain..

6.Roy Williams-For some reason i think Williams will be at the top of the list..Williams is considered overrated by alot of people.But his resume amd image is exactly what they're looking for..

7.John Calipari-Does a great job of managing talent..And knows how to get the most out of his players.But his controversial image might not be what they're looking for..

8.Rick Alderman

9.Tom Izzo

10.Avery Johnson

11.Billy Donovan

12.Bill Self

Memphis Madness
Great question! I think

Great question!

I think that Coach Pop will be too old. I think I will go with Doc Rivers as the head coach with Tom Izzo (he should be higher on this list), Thibs, and Rick Adelman as his assistant coaches. Izzo will be the guy who works with each guy to play as a team and with toughness. He would also be used to coaching younger guys if we go with more of a youth movement in 2016. Thibs would work with the defense with Rick Adelman as an elder statesman and the offensive guru.

This would be the most well-rounded coaching staff.

If Doc Rivers isn't the head coach, Tom Izzo would be my second choice. Bill Self, Tom Crean, and Scott Brooks would also be good choices for assistant coaching positions. Brooks, especially, if Durant, Westbrook, and Harden all return.

I don't think John Calipari would ever be named the Team USA coach based on his less-than-stellar reputation. I think they want to go with a Coach K type which is why I think Doc Rivers or Tom Izzo would be at the top of my list.

Coach Spo would be a sleeper (more likely as an assistant coach though) if LeBron takes his talents to Rio.

Tha King2121
Tha King2121's picture
USA Coach

Wow you named 12 guys and no Phil Jackson. I know hes done coaching(or he says) but I would love him to coach these guys. I know his system is the Triangle and that wouldn't really suit the USA team. But who doesn't love Phil. But if it wasn't him I'd say Doc Rivers hes desirves it, he its great at handling players and his system is great for star players.

IndianaBasketball
IndianaBasketball's picture
You can't go wrong with Pop

You can't go wrong with Pop or Doc.

I'd really like to see Doc Rivers coaching the team though.

Sewok15
Sewok15's picture
Doc Rivers or Doug

Doc Rivers or Doug Collins...the players really seem to like and respect both guys. Another name that hasn't been mentioned is Thibs. He will show why he is one of the best coaches around this season with out Rose.

mj23mj23bestever
doug collins

even doc rivers himself said hed love too c doug collins get the job and mentioned the 72 robbery as well would b great redemption too win gold as coach and having the backing of a much respected guy like doc helps his cause bohiem is my dark horse guy hes been an assistant with coach k and colangelo is familiar with him

SeattleSuperChronics
SeattleSuperChronics's picture
Cal

Cal

qDizzle32
qDizzle32's picture
Greg Poppovich I think would

Greg Poppovich I think would be the best option if he has interest in coaching them

redsoxfreak724
Gotta go with Doc

Gotta go with Doc

UNCbasketballbum
UNCbasketballbum's picture
Dov Rivers all day...

Dov Rivers all day...

TDOT_Ball
TDOT_Ball's picture
Cal?

Can coach Cal coach team USA? I swear he was the coach of the Dominican Republic. Is it possible to just switch over like that?

akhan786
akhan786's picture
I feel like Coach Pop and Doc

I feel like Coach Pop and Doc would be able to command the most respect from the players out of all of those coaches and it'd be easier for the players to buy in if it is one of them.

ENOGSIWONdede
Brad Stevens/end thread

Brad Stevens/end thread

Da1pot
Da1pot's picture
Erik Spoelstra- No one does a

Erik Spoelstra- No one does a better job at winning with teams that are impossible to lose with in the first place.

JK for real, Popovich is kind of old (63) and there is no guarantee that he will be coaching by the next time the Olympics come around. Besides Collins and Rivers, other guys that I think have to be considered are Scott Brooks and Tom Thibodeau, because they will have two of the best teams in the NBA in the next few seasons.

ENOGSIWONdede
According to my numbers the

According to my numbers the top 5 candidates would be

1. Stevens

2. Shaka

3. Popovich

4. Rivers

5. Williams

coaching good players does not make you a good coach

SubZero
SubZero's picture
I would love to see Doc be

I would love to see Doc be the HC with a college coach like Bill Self or Tom Crean coach.

Tongue-Out-Like-23
Tongue-Out-Like-23's picture
Tom Thibs? I mean, if he

Tom Thibs?

I mean, if he gets Boozer and Rose to seem like good defenders, imagine what he'd do with LeBron, Dwight and Wade. Legitimate defenders.

Hitster
Hitster's picture
Age for an international

Age for an international Coach is perhaps even less so than for an NBA Coach but if you are looking 4 years ahead then perhaps you look to factor in a a guy who may not be pushing 70 then. One name not mentioned is George Karl who is a highly respected NBA Coach but with his recent health issues then would he want the extra burden.

Ideally perhaps taking a college coach would be better as they have a shorter season than the NBA coaches so could spend more time on the job.

If you did go for an older guy then Phil Jackson would be an ideal guy as he has won everything in the NBA and so an Olympic Gold Medal would complete the set and he'd have the time to spend on the team behind the scenes and this sort of role would be appealling as it would not be too time consuming.

Mike D'Antoni is another coach who is currently available but would he want to commit to Team USA if he is looking for another NBA job and would his style be suited to what could be tight defensive FIBA games. Although his uptempo 8 second offence could destroy a lot of International teams with the talent in Team USA.

joecheck88
joecheck88's picture
It's a tough question because

It's a tough question because team USA likes a program. Coach k was coach for like 5 or 6 years. All the guys mentioned are older. Would they put in that kind of commitment? I'm not sure. Doug Collins would be a good choice as would Doc Rivers. If you are looking at college coaches I would look at guys like Stevens, Smart, JTIII, I forget his name but the coach of Nova, maybe Ben Howland. D'Antoni has been in the program for awhile though and is younger than most of the choices on the list so he may be the favorite.

Sewok15
Sewok15's picture
Jay Wright is the Villanova

Jay Wright is the Villanova coach and I am a fan of his but don't think he could handle the Olympic squad. I am not saying they couldn't win gold with him coaching but there are at least 15 other guys I would pick ahead of him.

ENOGSIWONdede
What about Paul Westhead and

What about Paul Westhead and just run teams out of the gym? lol

RUDEBOY_
RUDEBOY_'s picture
RSS: Syndicate content