Will 2010-11 be a lost year for Utah

sammybuckeye13
sammybuckeye13's picture
Will 2010-11 be a lost year for Utah

Thinking about it, it appears that only bad things can come from free agency for the Jazz; the best-case scenario would be re-signing Boozer or working out a sign-and-trade with him I guess, but otherwise the Jazz are not going to be major players. They have to focus on re-signing young talent (especially Wesley Matthews, who Portland is reportedly after already; shades of Millsap?) and locking up guys like Korver who proved to be extremely valuable last year; according to many sources, now, though, re-signing Korver might not be likely. 2011 is going to be much brighter, so you wonder if the Jazz will not just accept a lineup of:

Williams
Matthews/Hayward
Kirilenko/Miles
Millsap
Okur

and win 42-49 games and wait it out until 2011.

In 2011 they could transform comfpletely. They will likely get Ante Tomic, their 2008 2nd-round pick who in the last couple days has gotten a great deal of attention as being the next Gasol, and at 7-1/7-2, and he won't command a ridiculous amount of money. The $17.8 million off the books from Kirilenko's contract could allow them to sign the swingman (Jason Richardson, maybe?) that Deron's always deserved, and Mehmet Okur's expiring contract will be another huge trade chip. Matthews, Miles and Hayward all will have developed even further, and they could have their best team since drafting Williams. So I guess my question is, should they just not sign Boozer, wait out this year, and hope for major dividends in 2011?

JazzinSLC
They may not have a choice...

If they can't resign Boozer, or work out a sign and trade with him, they are pretty stuck with what they have until they have more flexability. That won't be the case until the following season when Kirilenko's huge contract finally comes off the books.

JazzinSLC
I think the best thing that could happen...

Long term, is to have Boozer leave. It will make them huge players in free agency over the next couple seasons, and give them a bunch of cap room to swing deals. Boozer is the type of player that will get you to the dance, but not get you the girl. If your just happy to be there (the playoffs), and don't really care whether you get the title, then Carlos is your guy. Everytime he goes up against a big front line (like the Lakers), he isn't able to get the job done. Millsap actually played better then Boozer in the Lakers second round series in this past years playoffs. Why give a guy near max money, who has shown for the last five years he isn't good enough to take you all the way? At least, to me, that doesn't make sense (from a basketball, or business standpoint). I would rather pay top dollar to a guy who I know at least gives me a chance to win it all. Maybe Jazz management is just content with being good but not great.

butidonthavemoney
butidonthavemoney's picture
They'll

They'll be fine with or without Booze.

Still a 50 win team. Still not a championship team.

bigblackNbeautiful
Let booz walk

We need defense. Thats why this talk of sign and trade for david lee is ridiculous. I dont think a large deal to david lee is our answer. I have posted this before but why not make a move for Biendris. I mean maybe AK for Biendris and Turiaf?? Then we finally have some solid D down low. Or just wait it out with AK and have money to sign players. Just please no sign and trades with booz that kill our team or re sign boozer. Utah fans want a title not a 2nd round exit for the next 10 years

The UnderKanter
FInally some Jazz fans who

FInally some Jazz fans who want Booz gone and realize the potential money crisis if we resign him. I have been on this side of the argument for quite some time. Once I found out how good Tomic could be (which was about 3-4 months ago even before I read the article posted on this website) I realized exactly what we need to do this offseason to ensure our chances of a championship in 2011 or 2012. Here is my blueprint for this offseason:

1. Let Boozer walk and sign with whomever he wants to, Miami, Chicago, New York, New Jersey. Whomever, I don't care just as long as he is gone. No sign and trade just a straight up sign. We get nothing in return. We will survive because Millsap, Miles, Matthews, Hayward, Dwill are just to good to let us suck.
2. Resign Matthews for about 3 million. If Portland offers him more, than match the deal. No matter how high it is. I love him too much to see him leave.
3. Resign Fez for about 2 million.
4. Trade Koufos for a backup to Millsap, (Possibly Darrell Arthur from the Grizz.) I am willing to deal our lottery pick from Memphis next year, or own draft pick (mid twenties, like it always is) as well as Koufos.
5. Do a sign and trade with Korver. Bring in someone who plays a little more defense and can still shoot the 3 lights out. Possibly J.J. Reddick or Anthony Morrow.

Lineup for 2010-2011
Dwill/Price/Gaines
Matthews/Miles/Reddick
AK/Hayward/Miles
Millsap/Arthur or whomever we trade Koufos for
Okur/Fez

What I mean by putting Miles in both the 2 and the 3 spots is that he can play both. I'd rather see him as a backup to Matthews but to allow Reddick or Morrow playing time, I would consider using Miles as a 3 or not playing him at all. In reality Korver is just used for clutch situations when we need a 3 to win, Doing a sign and trade to get Reddick or Morrow will do the same but possible get more defense as well.
I'd see that lineup above win about 42-45 games, which is just fine considering we loose Booz, but still have the chance of getting better with Tomic coming over next year as well as draft picks from 2011. I hear the 2011 is loaded with talent and so far we have 2 picks(unless Grizzlies make playoffs next year) Also Dragicevic could possibly come over too. I have no idea how good he is, but we will soon find out in this year's summer league, and he could play the 3 and possibly replace AK if he gets injured again which is a very real possibility.

The UnderKanter
Love the trade for AK,

Love the trade for AK, middletonVB. This way we get a respectable strarting Center while Okur is nursing his injuries, and we don't have to "suffer" with Fez. Fez gets another trainer/teacher to help him improve. We can use Turiaf as the backup Millsap. Much better than Koufos. And we get bigger as both Biedrins and Turiaf are 6'10 or taller. The Warriors looked they were willing to get rid of Biedrins too with the drafting of Udoh. He could play both the PF or C, whereever the team needs him. They already have Gadzuric so the warriors can just use him as a backup to Udoh, as well as continue to use Wright as a backup. Warriors get a 3 which they are in desperate need of after the maggette trade. Each team wins!! Do it. Anyway you can mention this idea to Kevin O'Connor? If so please do so. This would also allow more playing time for Hayward, he may even get to start!!!

bigblackNbeautiful
Hahaha

Dwilljazz8 I have posted it on here like 10 times and jazzbots.com a bunch to... but I have been doing so since last year so obviously koc isnt getting my message but ya then we would be long. Which is needed. and then if tomic does come over we can have a Andres and Tomic def/off kinda rotation that could be really nice. Idk Do you got O'Connors email hahaha cause I would be more than happy to send it to him.

bigblackNbeautiful
Hahaha

Dwilljazz8 I have posted it on here like 10 times and jazzbots.com a bunch to... but I have been doing so since last year so obviously koc isnt getting my message but ya then we would be long. Which is needed. and then if tomic does come over we can have a Andres and Tomic def/off kinda rotation that could be really nice. Idk Do you got O'Connors email hahaha cause I would be more than happy to send it to him.

RSS: Syndicate content