This topic contains 36 replies, has 13 voices, and was last updated by AvatarAvatar McDunkin 9 years, 8 months ago.

• Author
    SeattleSuperChronics
    Participant

Preseason mocks are always misleading. Last year the Harrison twins seemed to be locks as a top 5 pick and lottery selection. There is always someone that drops significantly once the draft and mid season roles around. I will be very surprised if Mudiay is number 1 all year.

nick5354
    Participant

I definitely agree. There is always a lot of change.

I think Arana and NBA draft.net should release an official first mock of each draft at maybe a month after the NBA draft and archive it. Will be interesting to look back on when draft time rolls around to see where players were rated at the start of the year. There is always that border life 1st round or 2nd rounder who cracks the lotto.

nick5354
    Participant

I definitely agree. There is always a lot of change.

I think Arana and NBA draft.net should release an official first mock of each draft at maybe a month after the NBA draft and archive it. Will be interesting to look back on when draft time rolls around to see where players were rated at the start of the year. There is always that border life 1st round or 2nd rounder who cracks the lotto.

AdamJCalleja
    Participant

Lol I remember when Shabazz Muhammad was #1 or #2 for a summer

AdamJCalleja
    Participant

Lol I remember when Shabazz Muhammad was #1 or #2 for a summer

DondiJohn
    Participant

was considered a number 1 pick overall 

DondiJohn
    Participant

was considered a number 1 pick overall 

NeggedAlterEgosAlterEgo

I just want to see how many players rise into the top 20  we already know a few will fall out.

l wonder who are the Giannas ,Bruno,payton, Stackaus ,embiid.westbrooks,lilards,derrick Williams of this draft im excited about this cbb season for that reason and to see Oubre and Johnson.

NeggedAlterEgosAlterEgo

I just want to see how many players rise into the top 20  we already know a few will fall out.

l wonder who are the Giannas ,Bruno,payton, Stackaus ,embiid.westbrooks,lilards,derrick Williams of this draft im excited about this cbb season for that reason and to see Oubre and Johnson.

ProudGrandpa
    Participant

I’m sure Aran Smith would be very surprised if Emmanuel Mudiay stays #1 all year

ProudGrandpa
    Participant

I’m sure Aran Smith would be very surprised if Emmanuel Mudiay stays #1 all year

Scrooge McDuck
    Participant

Mudiay, Johnson, and Okafor are the type of player that doesn’t fall off mock boards. They’re not underachievers. They are top 10 locks.

Scrooge McDuck
    Participant

Mudiay, Johnson, and Okafor are the type of player that doesn’t fall off mock boards. They’re not underachievers. They are top 10 locks.

nick5354
      Participant

I have learnt now to never to utter those words “lock” in pre season, ever. These prospects sound good now, but a lot happens when the college season kicks in. Lamb was another one who I remember was top 2 for a period of time then almost feel out of the lottery. Drummond was touted as one of the best prospects since Lebron and somehow (still I never know) fell to 9.

I feel like Mudiay should be still in the top 5, just because he will be playing in China and should dominate while not exposing his weaknesses to much.

nick5354
      Participant

I have learnt now to never to utter those words “lock” in pre season, ever. These prospects sound good now, but a lot happens when the college season kicks in. Lamb was another one who I remember was top 2 for a period of time then almost feel out of the lottery. Drummond was touted as one of the best prospects since Lebron and somehow (still I never know) fell to 9.

I feel like Mudiay should be still in the top 5, just because he will be playing in China and should dominate while not exposing his weaknesses to much.

he_gets_buckets
      Participant

Shabazz was a top 3 "lock" for an entire summer. That term is just a buzz word now.

he_gets_buckets
      Participant

Shabazz was a top 3 "lock" for an entire summer. That term is just a buzz word now.

Scrooge McDuck
        Participant

What about Julius Randle, Jabari Parker, and Andrew wiggins? They are an example of what I’m talking about.

Scrooge McDuck
        Participant

What about Julius Randle, Jabari Parker, and Andrew wiggins? They are an example of what I’m talking about.

Chilbert arenas
    Participant
    Austin Daye and Deandre Jordan were once preason #1 picks. I say this every year, someone should take a screen shot right now so we can compare after the draft.

Chilbert arenas
    Participant
    Austin Daye and Deandre Jordan were once preason #1 picks. I say this every year, someone should take a screen shot right now so we can compare after the draft.

Hitster
    Participant

Last year Wiggins and Parker were top 3 in the mocks all year, in 2006/07 Oden and Durrant were top 2 all year, in 2007/08 Beasley and D-Rose were top 3 all year I believe although OJ Mayo fluctuated a fair bit. In more recent years Blake Griffin and John Wall were top locks nearly all year.

On the flipside I recall Hassan Whiteside once being number 1 on a future mock draft on here and Harrison Barnes had a rollercoaster mock history going from first to out the lottery picks back to near the top before finally being picked 6th.

I do agree with the point that there will likely be someone currently well outside the top 10 on most draft mocks going likely top 5 or so next year but also a fair few of those high on the mocks will retain their high listings across the year.

Hitster
    Participant

Last year Wiggins and Parker were top 3 in the mocks all year, in 2006/07 Oden and Durrant were top 2 all year, in 2007/08 Beasley and D-Rose were top 3 all year I believe although OJ Mayo fluctuated a fair bit. In more recent years Blake Griffin and John Wall were top locks nearly all year.

On the flipside I recall Hassan Whiteside once being number 1 on a future mock draft on here and Harrison Barnes had a rollercoaster mock history going from first to out the lottery picks back to near the top before finally being picked 6th.

I do agree with the point that there will likely be someone currently well outside the top 10 on most draft mocks going likely top 5 or so next year but also a fair few of those high on the mocks will retain their high listings across the year.

AdamJCalleja
    Participant

As much as I like Oubre, I really feel #2 is way too high, even though these super early mock drafts don’t really matter. I think he’s going to drop and end up staying another year. Same thing with Selden last year who was seen as a top 5 pick all last summer .

AdamJCalleja
    Participant

As much as I like Oubre, I really feel #2 is way too high, even though these super early mock drafts don’t really matter. I think he’s going to drop and end up staying another year. Same thing with Selden last year who was seen as a top 5 pick all last summer .

Tune Squad
    Participant

I don’t really see Oubre or LeVert as top ten picks this year. I think the mocks are continously mixed up to create debate, conversation and to throw off the "other" draft site from copying picks before the draft.

Tune Squad
    Participant

I don’t really see Oubre or LeVert as top ten picks this year. I think the mocks are continously mixed up to create debate, conversation and to throw off the "other" draft site from copying picks before the draft.

RUN TMC
    Participant

Dwight Powell was definatly lotto if not top 5 on here at one point

RUN TMC
    Participant

Dwight Powell was definatly lotto if not top 5 on here at one point

RUN TMC
    Participant

I think if Aaron Gordon has a good year with the magic we might see Stanley johnson sneek up to top 3.  Athletic Zona guys that can do a bit of everything, could make a GM think its worth the gamble like orlando did.  Also I wouldn’t be suprised if Oubre is the 3rd Jayhawk drafted(hoping for huge things from Selden)

RUN TMC
    Participant

I think if Aaron Gordon has a good year with the magic we might see Stanley johnson sneek up to top 3.  Athletic Zona guys that can do a bit of everything, could make a GM think its worth the gamble like orlando did.  Also I wouldn’t be suprised if Oubre is the 3rd Jayhawk drafted(hoping for huge things from Selden)

Grandmama
    Participant

Yeah, it happens a lot. James White, Hassan Whiteside, Austin Daye, were a few who were top 3 in the mock at one point.

Grandmama
    Participant

Yeah, it happens a lot. James White, Hassan Whiteside, Austin Daye, were a few who were top 3 in the mock at one point.

Hitster
    Participant

With elite talent it’s easier to guess where they will go – usually near the very top of the draft. For the next level down and so on it becomes harder as more options come into play.

Also I forgot to mmention that mocks a year in advance are always so subjective, we cannot look at team needs, don’t know for sure who’ll declare especially amongst guys returning for soph year etc. We have a better idea who’ll be one and done amongst the elite guys but then you’ll get guys like Marcus Smart who decide to return.

So someone like Aran has to factor all this in and respond to guys having a hot spell early on in the college season. Come November someone probably not in most first round drafts yet might crop up in the top 10 on some respected mocks. On a site like this, Aran and co have to react to almost weekly performances to update their mock. They are in a hard position, if good performances aren’t recognised then people moan and if they are then others will say that person is far to high on the mock etc.

As you may well know, I never officially put a mock draft up until after the draft lottery when we know who”l pick where. I could write a detailed mock saying Kelly Oubre for example should go 3rd but what’s the point 10 months plus prior to the draft. Sure I’d say he is a likely top 5 pick at present IMO but that is just my ballpark rating and I’ve said he’d be a nice fit at Philly but I’m not making a detailed case that Sam Hinkie should draft him.

Hitster
    Participant

With elite talent it’s easier to guess where they will go – usually near the very top of the draft. For the next level down and so on it becomes harder as more options come into play.

Also I forgot to mmention that mocks a year in advance are always so subjective, we cannot look at team needs, don’t know for sure who’ll declare especially amongst guys returning for soph year etc. We have a better idea who’ll be one and done amongst the elite guys but then you’ll get guys like Marcus Smart who decide to return.

So someone like Aran has to factor all this in and respond to guys having a hot spell early on in the college season. Come November someone probably not in most first round drafts yet might crop up in the top 10 on some respected mocks. On a site like this, Aran and co have to react to almost weekly performances to update their mock. They are in a hard position, if good performances aren’t recognised then people moan and if they are then others will say that person is far to high on the mock etc.

As you may well know, I never officially put a mock draft up until after the draft lottery when we know who”l pick where. I could write a detailed mock saying Kelly Oubre for example should go 3rd but what’s the point 10 months plus prior to the draft. Sure I’d say he is a likely top 5 pick at present IMO but that is just my ballpark rating and I’ve said he’d be a nice fit at Philly but I’m not making a detailed case that Sam Hinkie should draft him.

McDunkin

Nemanja Aleksandrov is a prime example.

McDunkin

Nemanja Aleksandrov is a prime example.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login