This topic contains 17 replies, has 16 voices, and was last updated by AvatarAvatar aamir543 12 years, 6 months ago.

• Author
    projectpat310
    Participant

NBA What If Duos Since 1990: http://www.baselineJ.com/nba-what-if-duos-since-1990/

What are your guys thoughts on this?

JoeWolf1

Larry Johnson and Zo, they only got 3 years together and LJ got hurt in the 2nd year of their stint together. LJ wasn’t quite the same after his injury and Zo got shipped to Miami after the 94-95 season, but you had two top 2 picks that were 20/10 players.  I don’t know how they weren’t on that list.

Spurs2020
    Participant

What’s even scarier about the tmac/grant hill combo is that, if i remember correctly, grant hill signed with orlando under the presumption that duncan was going to leave san antonio to join him… then duncan pulled the rug out from underneath him… those are 3 of the most complementary skill sets ever… two of the most consistent unselfish superstars ever to play (duncan, hill) paired with a volatile scorer like T-mac? I take them over the big 3 any day…. talk about what if

JSakes22
    Participant

I was actually looking for the T-Mac/Vince Carter combo. I think if they stayed together in Toronto and got the right pieces around them that could have been one of the most exciting teams of the last decade.

omphalos
    Participant

T-Mac and VC couldn’t work together, neither would have been satisfied playing the second fiddle on the wing.

JSakes22
    Participant

Yeah, but they were cousins man. They had that ESP with each other that should have squashed any jealousy lol

Bmore_DC
    Participant

Marbury and KG couldve been something…people forget how good Marbury was in his prime

projectpat310
    Participant

This site is great. Everyone has awesome feedback. I agree, LJ/Zo was a beastly duo, as well as Duncan potentially joining Orlando with Hill and T-Mac. Good stuff. 

ItsVictorOladipo
    Participant

Not saying they should necessarily be on this list over any other duos but Vin Baker and Glenn Robinson looked very promising over Big Dawg’s first 3 season in Milwaukee. Baker was shipped out for Terrell Brandon who never recaptured his status with Cleveland and Baker never cashed in on the enormous potential he showed.

Also it would have been interesting if the Bulls had tried to build upon their 1999 draft with the cornerstones of Elton Brand and Ron Artest (with Jamal Crawford playing the 2 and Brad Miller playing C for good measure) instead of trading Artest and Miller to the Pacers and shipping Brand for Tyson Chandler. By the 2004 season Brand, Artest and Miller would all have been playing at an all-star level and would be in the primes of their careers, together they could have been a legit contender in the Eastern Conference. Instead Chicago would continue to miss the playoffs.

Wavy Bagels
    Participant

I’m gonna go on a limb and say if Carlos Boozer did not leave Cleveland, he and Lebron could’ve been a great tandem. Would’ve gave Lebron that presence down low he always needed in Cleveland. I say LIMB, because we are all aware of Boozer’s lack of D and injury history. Anyway, Lebron would use his passing ability to give Boozer open looks in the post and perhaps could’ve developed a keen pick n’ roll relationship. Remember: LIMB!

chevilicous
    Participant

@ bmore I’d still take Terrell Brandon and KG over Marbury and KG

Grandmama
    Participant

Yeah I agree chev, Marbury’s style and me me me attitude was destructive to NBA teams.  His style and personality weren’t good fits with Garnett, or with any great player for that matter.

Da1pot
    Participant

This duo would have been one of the greatest

Memphis Madness
    Participant

Derrick Coleman and Kenny Anderson could have done more in my opinion.  DC was a beast and Special K was very good but the thing unraveled.  I think losing Drazen Petrovich hurt.  Those 3 could have been fun to watch for several more years.

I agree that LJ and Zo were a big WHAT IF duo.  A great dual threat power forward to go along with a very, very good center.  Two guys you can build around with Zo on defense, rebounding, and shot blocking and with LJ on post ups and scoring.  Plus, you had some great role players around those two like Muggsy Bogues, Kendall Gill, and Dell Curry.  

One of the biggest WHAT IF trades that worked out for both teams was the Dennis Rodman for Will Purdue trade.  Purdue put together some semi-decent years in Chicago as a backup center and then gets sent to the Spurs where he actually put up some good numbers.  The Spurs then get lucky and get Tim Duncan and Will Purdue made a good third big man.  Rodman was too wacky for The Admiral but I think some of Rodman’s toughness and smarts rubbed off on David Robinson.  So Purdue gets a ring and then Rodman goes to Chicago and puts the MJ comeback over the top.  Rodman was the perfect fit on those Bulls teams and gives them the power forward they lacked when the Magic beat them in 1995 playoffs.  Rodman wins 3 two more titles in Chicago and David Robinson gets 2 in San Antonio.  If Rodman had stayed on the Spurs I am not sure the Spurs would have won anything.  And, the Spurs might not have sucked that bad had Rodman still been there the year they sucked bad and gotten the first pick (Tim Duncan).  … well, that would have given us a great WHAT IF old guy combo of Dennis Rodman and Dominique Wilkins.  That might have been fun.

Finally, if Rodman never goes to the Bulls then I think the Bulls don’t get the enforcer that they needed to beat the Shaq-Penny (plus Horace Grant) Orlando Magic.  The Bulls kicked the Magic’s ass in the 1996 playoffs with Rodman getting rebounds and defending and putting a body on Shaq.  Rodman didn’t back down from Shaq and got in his head as much as possible.  So, if Rodman never goes to the Bulls then the Magic probably win the East and win a title either against the Utah Jazz or the Houston Rockets.  Or, they could have faced the Spurs with David Robinson and Dennis Rodman.  If Shaq won a title in Orlando I think he would have been less likely to leave the Magic for the Lakers.  Maybe in the back of his mind he knew that he couldn’t beat MJ, Pippen, and Rodman.

rileymcshea3
    Participant

What about T-Mac and and Yao if they both stayed healthy

moximus
    Participant

If Penny knees held up when he moved to PHO, the "backcourt 2000" of Penny and Kidd would be fun.  Both at their prime.

Ollstar
    Participant

what if melo and amare could play D, man that would be a sick duo. they arent slouches on d but they arent great either. if they brought the same desire on that side of the courth that they bring on D, best 3, 4 to play ever. i know bird, mchale i still think when melo and amare become great defenders theyll be best 3, 4. alot of knicks fans out there so i can see the hate coming. in my mind they got the wrong coach, different topic though. just these what ifs made me think of knicks and what if these guys brought a little more on d and the coach had different style

aamir543
    Participant

^Sorry, Amare is definatly a slouch on D, lol.

He is a great offensive player, but he is an extremely poor defender. He let Brook Lopez drop 35 on him.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login