This topic contains 9 replies, has 8 voices, and was last updated by AvatarAvatar Hitster 4 years, 4 months ago.

• Author
    joe2324gj
    Participant

Porzingis was the only guy in recent memory that had superstar potential before he got hurt. Now, I look at this team with Knox and RJ and i’m not seeing it at all with these guys. Is it safe to say we have a bunch of role players and no future all stars here? I’m looking at this 2020 draft class and so far, nobody is really jumping out at me. This is brutal.

1+
    canadabasketballisrisingcanadabasketballisrising
    canadabasketballisrising
    Participant

RJ Is 19 and averaging around 15 ppg, while also guarding the other teams best player. To put him in the same class with knox who barely plays is a strange choice of words at the very best.

4+
    bt102bt102
    bt102
    Participant

The problem is RJ had a lot of concerns like his shooting, descion making, and court vision. This is very apparent right now. I think he will be an ok player. But i think he peaks as a 4th option on a good team. However, if Knicks will stop playing Taj Gibson (who has no future with this team), and Bobby Portis as well, they can develop Robinson into a Rudy Gobert type which can be still good. I think Mitchell Robinson can be a star but still, the Knicks are so bad.

1+
      canadabasketballisrisingcanadabasketballisrising
      canadabasketballisrising
      Participant

peaks as a 4th option on a good team? He is arguably the knicks 2nd option(horrible team) right now without ever getting better and he’s 19. He’s a 4th option on a good team now.

1+
    OhCanada-
    Participant

RJ’s gonna be fine as long as he continues to work hard and one thing he doesnt lack is mentors to keep him in check. His father is the GM of Canada Basketball, his godfather is Steve Nash, his College Coach is Mike Krzyzewski/Coach K, and yes I had to google that spelling how do you even pronounce Krzyzewski? Anyways I think he will continue to get better every year so he’ll be fine and end up an elite allstar level talent sometime down the road.

That being said he’s been terrible. Alot of his struggles are his teammates fault like Morris and Randle completely hogging the ball but alot of his teams struggles are his fault in return because he really doesnt know how to play the game yet, especially off the ball. He’s just so fresh. Like a kid straight out of highschool. He’s gonna be inefficient for a while.

Gonna be a long rebuild for the Knicks but they got one solid piece with Barrett. Robinson has upside but hasn’t proved to be more than an energy big like Javale Mcgee which shouldnt be considered an insult. Knicks need two more solid peices in the Draft and then they should be set to turn the corner and start growing.

Dazzling Dunks and Basketball Bloopers
    Participant

It’s too early to tell with Barrett, Knox and Robinson. Both Barrett and knox are still teenagers and Robinson hasn’t played that much basketball yet. Not saying any of these guys are definitely stars but you have to give them opportunity to grow and find out.
    As far as the rest of the roster goes, the Knicks need to start selling immediately. Morris has proven to be a solid role player and could potentially snatch a draft pick or young player in return. Knicks need to explore that ASAP. Randles contract is probably immovable for now, but guys like bullock and Ellington (if healthy) could have some value on the market. Even Payton could potentially have some value for a team looking for a backup pg or Portis as a stretch big. Maybe there is even a team out there who still believes they can turn Dennis Smith around. The point is that none of these guys is going to help the team long-term and anything they can get for them is better than nothing. You need to focus this season (and probably next) on giving your young players the best possible chance to develop, getting as many draft picks as possible, and creating as much financial flexibility going forward as you can.

1+
    Choppy
    Participant

Knox and Barrett are the two likeliest candidates for stardom as everyone has said. It’d be interesting to see how each of them would do at a team that develops players (Spurs, Raps) rather than the Knicks.

1+
    BothTeamsPlayedHard-BothTeamsPlayedHard-
    BothTeamsPlayedHard-
    Participant

I thought Barrett would look a little like Tyreke Evans did coming out of Memphis. He might not have range, and put up empty numbers, but there was a sense that something great could be there. It is still early, but he looks more like Marshon Brooks or Dion Waiters. It has been on the surprising side just how poorly he is shooting away from the rim.

Kevin Knox needs to go to a team that moves the ball. I don’t think he will ultimately be a star, but Cam Johnson is contributing in Phoenix. Davis Bertans is hot at the moment, but even prior to this spell was a solid rotation player. Neither Washington nor Phoenix are setting the league on fire, but the presence of Rubio and Beal/Ish gets the ball moving.

Dennis Smith has been a disaster. His failure as key part of the Porzingis return looks awful. Those picks that appear destined for the mid-to-late 20s don’t look much better.

I have no rational basis for thinking this, but Frank Ntilikina will get picked up by Miami or Toronto, and will end up being a contributor. He has a terrible body of work, but it is just a hunch.

joe2324gj
      Participant

when I watch Barrett play, he has no killer instinct. I like the Marshon Brooks comparison, but I don’t think he’ll even be that good. His free throwing shooting is embarrassing to watch. A few times when I watched him and things got rough out there, he had this kind of sour puss on his face which irritated me. To me, Barrett feels like a bust because he was the 3rd overall pick and those high expectations. I don’t think Knox will amount to anything because his defense is god awful and got worse from last year. I pretty much dislike every single player on this team with the exception of Mitchell Robinson. Every single person can go.

Hitster
    Participant

The Knicks have a total logjam in the frontcourt, I see the logic of having a veteran like Morris or Taj but they don’t need both and likewise with Randle and Portis they only really needed one. Portis has a team option for next year so maybe they can add an asset via a trade for him.

As regards next year’s draft a PG would be ideal but I don’t think they can pass on BPA. If they don’t draft a PG then they need a solid pass first veteran via FA or trade to help create for the young guys.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login